BSA B25 Removing the timing cover

Natter about bike related stuff here
classic bike newbie

BSA B25 Removing the timing cover

Unread post by classic bike newbie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello folks!

As my name suggests, I'm totally new to classic British bike, I have acquired a tatty but promising BSA B25, 1971 model used as a scrambler. I'm in the process of doing it up.
I have come up against my first snag.

The gear selector shaft has crumbled at the point where the splines should be and I need to replace it.

Having got the timing cover casing undone, so that it is standing about half an inch away from the crankcase, I cannot budge it any further. My question is....

Do I have to pull out the whole gearbox when taking the cover off? i.e. dismantle the clutch side. The manual is not clear about this, it says that it assumes the primary chain side has already been dismantled. Obviously, if it can be helped I'd like to not deal with the hassle of the gearbox.

I look forward to reading from anyone who can help.

DAVE M2

Re: BSA B25 Removing the timing cover

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:48 pm

what about the kickstart?

I am a triumph guy but normally you have to crank the kick starter over to about horizontal to allow the cover to come off.

classic bike newbie

Re: BSA B25 Removing the timing cover

Unread post by classic bike newbie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, unfortunately not. I decided to brave it, to undo the primary chain side, remove the clutch and take the gearbox out as I had spent long enough looking at it. It does seem the only way to get the timing cover off.

Funny old British bikes, I'm too used to my Japanese bikes. Can't wait for the fun of reassembling.