Hein Gericke UK have just gone bust.

Natter about bike related stuff here
triumph5ta

Re: Hein Gericke UK have just gone bust.

Unread post by triumph5ta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 pm

I find it hard to understand how any retail business survives these days.
I have been looking around for a small industrial unit type thing which some mates and I can share to store and work on bikes. A big lockup with power and light really.
While looking around I see rental rates for all sorts of premises. The rents for retail are just crazy it seems, like £100,000 pa plus VaT ... before paying staff or suppliers.
I suspect HG High Street rents are in that kind of bracket. Businesses like HG go under and the only people who can make it pay are those selling a low value product at high prices eg coffee shops. Hence High Streets now full of businesses that sell mostly overpriced tat and seldom sell anything useful.
High Streets need premises at affordable rents to allow a VARIETY of businesses to thrive.
That and a thriving economy providing enough customers of course...

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 pm

The local HG near Montpellier closed a while ago,as have quite a few similar outlets in Nimes,dunno what the rents are but every one was a massive industrial unit stacked full with kit but no punters.Even at the weekends (normally bikers shopping day) they were empty...Internet online buying to blame?
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

Room101

Unread post by Room101 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 pm

A good point but I think bikers just aren’t spending anymore. I personally wouldn’t buy a helmet or leathers off the www. That stuff has to fit doesn’t it?
I recon Infinity are next, I seem to get regular discount emails from them now, just like I did from HG for the last 6 months.

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Room101 wrote:A good point but I think bikers just aren’t spending anymore. I personally wouldn’t buy a helmet or leathers off the www. That stuff has to fit doesn’t it?
I recon Infinity are next, I seem to get regular discount emails from them now, just like I did from HG for the last 6 months.
You're probably right,insurance and fuel prices going up,just to run a bike for weekend runs needs consideration on costs...I agree about buying kit off www,but if you can try it for size in a retail outlet,then order it on line and save money,why not?..few years ago I did just that,tried a Bestaff jacket in HG then bought one in UK..saved a bundle!
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 pm

12 years or so ago a cafe/bike clothing & accessories shop set up a few miles away from me......the clothing side did pretty well for several years as it had a good range of stuff at fair prices.
Then along came mass internet use........
One sunday I was in there chatting to the proprietor who had just spent some time with a customer trying on helmets; having found one she liked she said "I'll pop back and buy one next week"..........by which she really meant "having used your place as a fitting room I'll look for one cheaper on the internet"........he said it was happening more and more even though he'd discounted most of his goods as much as he could and still make a small profit, which was why he'd decided to concentrate more on the cafe side of the business and stop selling clothing.
Five years or so later the cafe is still there and doing very nicely with just the odd few items of kit for sale; a shame, as I used to enjoy buying my gear in there and the atmosphere is not quite the same.
Proves Triumph5TA's point I suppose.......

Room101

Unread post by Room101 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:32 pm

buyer found ...
http://www.motorcycletrader.net/display ... ID=5409831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 pm

SMIFFY R wrote:
Room101 wrote:A good point but I think bikers just aren’t spending anymore. I personally wouldn’t buy a helmet or leathers off the www. That stuff has to fit doesn’t it?
You're probably right,insurance and fuel prices going up,just to run a bike for weekend runs needs consideration on costs...I agree about buying kit off www,but if you can try it for size in a retail outlet,then order it on line and save money,why not?..few years ago I did just that,tried a Bestaff jacket in HG then bought one in UK..saved a bundle!

I'm old tech I suppose and I buy stuff in shops. Even if you've checked out a lid, you never totally know if it'll fit. Actulaly, I need to get a new MX lid for younger son, mainly for BMX but also for occasional trips on the Suzuki, assuming that is that Frau Scotduke gives in on that score.