The philosophy of the barn find.

Natter about bike related stuff here
scotduke

Re: The philosophy of the barn find.

Unread post by scotduke » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 pm

I only know one British farmer as I'm a city living type - and he has sheep mainly and not so much in the way of machinery, broken down or otherwise. But my wife's from a small village in Bavaria and several of her uncles are farmers. They obviously have a different attitude in Germany as equipment is looked after - quite a few of the old boys have very well-cared for classic tractors, Fendts mostly.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:46 am

My Mum and Dad are/were Scottish and always moaned about how farmers in Scotland looked after their boundaries and buildings better than in England, but that the machinery was expensive to buy but seemed to be bought and run into the ground, with no thought of maintenance.
Things may have changed as a cousin of mine decided not to farm like his dad, but went into Agricultural Engineering, as he thought some stuff was so complicated that it needed a proper mechanic, rather than a bit of twine. Dunno if he makes a decent living through,

I'd love to find a barn fiull of stuff but down here, farmer's are too canny and view everything as an antique

Room101

Unread post by Room101 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:31 am

I lived outside Stuttgart for 3 years and must admit the farms were chocolate box pretty, whereas the farmers down here in southern Hants are tramps.

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Room101 wrote:I lived outside Stuttgart for 3 years and must admit the farms were chocolate box pretty, whereas the farmers down here in southern Hants are tramps.

the farms around where I work in Kent are pretty run down looking