Is there any hope for me?

Natter about bike related stuff here
scotduke
Posts: 5785
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by scotduke » Mon May 19, 2014 11:03 pm

If the XJ feels to big then sell it and get something smaller. If the CL175 suits you then that's good. The Honda Benly has an electric start and is low and light. I had one, though it wasn't my favourite bike by a long way.

I think the CB200 is a better bike myself, neat little thing and so is my Suzuki X5 and that is low and light and has an electric start too. Neither of those is expensive.

User avatar
hondapartsman
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am
Location: Halesworth Suffolk.

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by hondapartsman » Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am

scotduke wrote:If the XJ feels to big then sell it and get something smaller. If the CL175 suits you then that's good. The Honda Benly has an electric start and is low and light. I had one, though it wasn't my favourite bike by a long way.

I think the CB200 is a better bike myself, neat little thing and so is my Suzuki X5 and that is low and light and has an electric start too. Neither of those is expensive.
I'm going to. I would have to admit that the reason for me wanting a CL is not totally practical. One, I like the look, the high pipe street scrambler style, the tls front brake, on the one I'm getting the finish on the fuel tank ( al la CB350 four with the scalloped look) chrome guards and finally, which may seem most illogical of all, it's a 1972 so i can have a black and silver plate on it. In truth, me being tall and it'll be physically a bit small I expect, but I'm okay with that. I also want, for reasons I'm not going into now, to know first hand what it's like to have a bike that comes from the US but which you need to get roadworthy and register etc yourself. I have enough other bikes not to worry about needing it for transport in a hurry, even if I sell the XJ.
I don't like the CB because of the cable disc, originally I had in mind a CB175K6 like I had years and years ago ( even if I never rode it) but then I saw the CL and remembered how i was attracted to other street scrambler style bikes, I was even tempted by the CL200 which is very rare, but it didn't have that style of tank which drew me.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

scotduke
Posts: 5785
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by scotduke » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 pm

hondapartsman wrote:
scotduke wrote:If the XJ feels to big then sell it and get something smaller. If the CL175 suits you then that's good. The Honda Benly has an electric start and is low and light. I had one, though it wasn't my favourite bike by a long way.

I think the CB200 is a better bike myself, neat little thing and so is my Suzuki X5 and that is low and light and has an electric start too. Neither of those is expensive.
I'm going to. I would have to admit that the reason for me wanting a CL is not totally practical. One, I like the look, the high pipe street scrambler style, the tls front brake, on the one I'm getting the finish on the fuel tank ( al la CB350 four with the scalloped look) chrome guards and finally, which may seem most illogical of all, it's a 1972 so i can have a black and silver plate on it. In truth, me being tall and it'll be physically a bit small I expect, but I'm okay with that. I also want, for reasons I'm not going into now, to know first hand what it's like to have a bike that comes from the US but which you need to get roadworthy and register etc yourself. I have enough other bikes not to worry about needing it for transport in a hurry, even if I sell the XJ.
I don't like the CB because of the cable disc, originally I had in mind a CB175K6 like I had years and years ago ( even if I never rode it) but then I saw the CL and remembered how i was attracted to other street scrambler style bikes, I was even tempted by the CL200 which is very rare, but it didn't have that style of tank which drew me.
The CL175 isn't one I'm familiar with to be honest. I remember the CL250, which was similar to the RS250. Not many of those sold here though I thought they were neat. I didn't remember the CB200 had a cable operated disc but I'll take your word for it. Those high set pipes do look good. My landlord had a CD175 which I used to borrow from time to time, just as he used to borrow my Benly occasionally. I wasn't that taken with either. A bloke round the corner from me has a CB175 which he just put back on the road - think it was his dad's as it sat in the front garden for year - runs ok though one of the pipes is blowing a bit.

User avatar
hondapartsman
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am
Location: Halesworth Suffolk.

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by hondapartsman » Wed May 21, 2014 11:13 am

scotduke wrote:
hondapartsman wrote:
scotduke wrote:If the XJ feels to big then sell it and get something smaller. If the CL175 suits you then that's good. The Honda Benly has an electric start and is low and light. I had one, though it wasn't my favourite bike by a long way.

I think the CB200 is a better bike myself, neat little thing and so is my Suzuki X5 and that is low and light and has an electric start too. Neither of those is expensive.
I'm going to. I would have to admit that the reason for me wanting a CL is not totally practical. One, I like the look, the high pipe street scrambler style, the tls front brake, on the one I'm getting the finish on the fuel tank ( al la CB350 four with the scalloped look) chrome guards and finally, which may seem most illogical of all, it's a 1972 so i can have a black and silver plate on it. In truth, me being tall and it'll be physically a bit small I expect, but I'm okay with that. I also want, for reasons I'm not going into now, to know first hand what it's like to have a bike that comes from the US but which you need to get roadworthy and register etc yourself. I have enough other bikes not to worry about needing it for transport in a hurry, even if I sell the XJ.
I don't like the CB because of the cable disc, originally I had in mind a CB175K6 like I had years and years ago ( even if I never rode it) but then I saw the CL and remembered how i was attracted to other street scrambler style bikes, I was even tempted by the CL200 which is very rare, but it didn't have that style of tank which drew me.
The CL175 isn't one I'm familiar with to be honest. I remember the CL250, which was similar to the RS250. Not many of those sold here though I thought they were neat. I didn't remember the CB200 had a cable operated disc but I'll take your word for it. Those high set pipes do look good. My landlord had a CD175 which I used to borrow from time to time, just as he used to borrow my Benly occasionally. I wasn't that taken with either. A bloke round the corner from me has a CB175 which he just put back on the road - think it was his dad's as it sat in the front garden for year - runs ok though one of the pipes is blowing a bit.
The CL250 was a much later bike, you're right they never were popular, I only recall one ever coming into work although there may have been a few more. The one I remember hung around for a long time, may have eventually gone to another branch, I don't recall it was a long time ago and I only ever saw stuff between all the stores work. I liked it then mind, but bearing in mind my experience of the electric start on my RS deluxe I was put off even thinking about having one. We never had the CL series in the UK, apart from half a dozen CL77's that were apparently delivered to the Uk in error. I would maybe have been better off with a CL350 or 450 ( maybe one day) but they're a bit beyond my budget and anyway another maybe illogical reason I have a workshop manual for one.
Yes most of the CB200's we had had that cable disc, there were a few really early ones with a tls drum like the 175. Oddly enough a couple those turned up on e bay about the same time a few months back, the first I'd ever seen. People often get those mixed up with CD200 benly though, that did have a tls drum all through but was a different beast entirely.
Anyway, the latest news is that my wife had given me some of the money for the CL, so although I'm still selling the XJ ( because I really do not need it anymore and it really doesn't fit in with my general bike owning ethos) it'll mean I'll have money left over. Also the bike will be here Thursday evening, so when it is I'll get some shots of it myself and start a thread about it. Always assuming I can remember how to get pics to go on here, I'm sure I've done it before.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

User avatar
Hooli
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: Doncaster

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by Hooli » Wed May 21, 2014 2:39 pm

There is a topic somewhere that Gus did about putting pics up on here. We'll look forward to the pics :)
Classics ain't built in Metric

User avatar
hondapartsman
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am
Location: Halesworth Suffolk.

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by hondapartsman » Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am

I have a feeling you need a photo hosting service. I'm not sure flickr works for that, but if nothing else there will be pics on flickr anyway so people can find them there.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

User avatar
SMIFFY R
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Camargue,South of France

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 am

I found that when flickr updated I had problems with the new site,I've found photobucket much easier for my old fuddled brain to comprehend
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

User avatar
DAM
Posts: 3041
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: North Cornwall

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by DAM » Thu May 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Just upload your picture to the forum gallery, you can link to the picture(s)in your post(s).
If your picture wont upload it's probably too big.

scotduke
Posts: 5785
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by scotduke » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

I used to use Photobucket - forgotten how now but it wasn't that difficult as I remember

Detour Rd.
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 am

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Unread post by Detour Rd. » Fri May 23, 2014 3:51 am

Hey HPM it think is one you are talking about. Its the 350 as we never had the 250 over here. You know how it is by us. Cubes.
Image
anyway sign up onto photobucket and upload you photos. When ready I'll run you through how to do it. Its simple. If I can.......

Post Reply