electric dreams

Natter about bike related stuff here
scotduke

electric dreams

Unread post by scotduke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Ok, so it's not likely to go into production yet but I rather like the look of this. I'm not sure how much it'd cost of what the range would be. Research into super capacitors and aluminium/air batteries shows a lot of promise. Both would be cheaper than the latest lithium ion batteries. Super capacitors would also be a lot lighter and more compact.

http://www.virtualpressoffice.com/publi ... eHistory=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Detour Rd.

Re: electric dreams

Unread post by Detour Rd. » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 am

super capacitors? Just don't accidently touch one.

scotduke

Re: electric dreams

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 pm

I just wrote a story for my magazine today - research into super capacitors is going a long way. The latest studies suggest super capacitors could offer 4-5 times the power density of the best lithium ion batteries available now. Bear in mind super capacitors are lighter and more compact than batteries and are also likely to be a lot cheaper. They won't lose effectiveness with multiple use and they don't contain nasty lithium and all the disposal issues it has when the lithium ion batteries need replacing, or all the cost of buying the nasty lithium in the first place. They're also suitable for repeated fast charging, provided you can find a socket big enough. So that power density 4-5 times greater than a lithium ion battery? You were concerned about the range of battery vehicles? Try multiplying the range of the best battery vehicles available now, say 130km or so, and multiplying it by 4-5 times. Does that sound better? You don't want an electric vehicle because they're too expensive due to the cost of the lithium ion batteries? How about one with super capacitors instead that cost a fraction of the price of batteries instead?