Back from a big bike trip

Natter about bike related stuff here
triumph5ta

Back from a big bike trip

Unread post by triumph5ta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 am

Denmark Sweden and Norway.
3 weeks of perfect weather except one day of thunderstorm rain when we had to ride 200 miles to our destination in Norway!
Lovely roads, almost empty. Everyone speaks English too but saw no UK plates all the time

https://www.flickr.com/photos/afuller18 ... 981311171/

Hooli

Re: Back from a big bike trip

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 pm

I NEED to ride there, it's been on my list for a long time. Is it as expensive as everyone says?
Classics ain't built in Metric

triumph5ta

Unread post by triumph5ta » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Hooli wrote:I NEED to ride there, it's been on my list for a long time. Is it as expensive as everyone says?
Not really except buying booze in a bar in Norway, forget it.
We did a bit of camping and a lot of staying in campsite cabins "hytter" in Norway and Denmark,"Stuga" in Sweden.
Stayed in an AirBnB place in Lillehammer Norway and in Copenhagen for a few days each. Thats where you rent somebody's house or apartment, great scheme.

From UK the last ferry (to Esbjerg in Denmark) stops running end of September. Then no ferries to Scandinavia at all from UK. Alternatives all involve a long ride up from Hook of Holland or Calais... Booo
http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/about-us/p ... e-closure/

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm

That's better than some things I'd heard then. I need to go right the way up to Nordkapp & ride lots of fiords.
Classics ain't built in Metric

triumph5ta

Unread post by triumph5ta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Hooli wrote:That's better than some things I'd heard then. I need to go right the way up to Nordkapp & ride lots of fiords.
I would'nt bother with Nordkapp if I were you. Its a huge distance and an anti climax when you get there. You have to go through North Sweden for hundreds of miles of straight roads through pine forests, incredibly boring. Then you pay £20 or some similar ridiculous charge to join coach loads of tourists buying Nordkapp stickers...
Then turn around and do the long dull ride in reverse.
loads of people do it but its not for me.
The Western Fjords are great, in fact its all great really.
Here is some of my "on bike" footage just an "ordinary" road near Lillhammer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa0i7d603Mw

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:58 pm

I've been up the west coast of Norway a few times for work and the scenery is fantastic. I've long wanted to do a motorbike trip there. Northern Sweden is impressive but it's a very long way to get there and a lot of it does look the same on the way.

If you want to go further north the Nordkaap then head for Spitsbergen, which is where Europe ends pretty much the moment you leave Longyearben.

I've not had any chance to ride bikes while here in Germany but I did get to drive my wife's cousin's 911 turbo instead, which is just as good. Yep I know it's a car, but it's an 80s turbo with 300hp and no electronic driver aids, so you really have to work it. It doesn't even have power steering and it will bite if you get your cornering technique wrong.

Old Codger

Unread post by Old Codger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 pm

"I've been up the west coast of Norway a few times for work"

Does Norway have an East coast?????

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 pm

Old Codger wrote:"I've been up the west coast of Norway a few times for work"

Does Norway have an East coast?????

There's a Norwegian east coast up in the north where the town of Kirkenes is located, close to the Russian border. The other bit of east coast for Norway is just to the south of capital Oslo.

I haven't been to Kirkenes but I have been to Tromso, which is one of the larger towns in the far north of Norway. I've been to Kristiansand, which is on the south eastern bit of coast, south east of Oslo.

I've also been to Spitsbergen, which is where Europe stops and the Artic ice cap starts.