Cleaning tanks

Natter about bike related stuff here
Hooli

Cleaning tanks

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 pm

It's not a classic but I'm tidying up my GSX14 currently & this question could apply to bikes of any age.

I've stripped all the bits off/out of the tank & cleaned up some rust under the filler cap, but some water got inside the tank when I washing it. Because of the design I can't drain the last dregs out, I'd guess at about 1/3 of a mug in there. What's the best way to get it out chaps? or is that a small enough amount to just fill the tank & dilute it? It's a 22litre tank btw.
Classics ain't built in Metric

jimmy

Re: Cleaning tanks

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Could you manipulate the tank so all the water sits in a corner, then syphon it out with a length of tubing

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:40 am

That does seem the only option aye. That or put loads of rags in & soak it up - much easier on an injection tank as there is a 3" hole in the bottom.

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am

Might be worth using a hair drier maybe although it could take some time. I have dried tanks out but usually just by leaving with the cap off somewhere warm for a long time.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:35 am

Somewhere warm... could be an issue unless it's by the fire which isn't ideal with petrol. Good idea in theory though.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:26 am

just drop in one of them microfibre cloths or even a jaycloth or bit of old toweling. once youve removed the bulk of it, a couple of hours sat in a sunny conservatory will dry it fully. if its already off, check that the little drain pipe from the filler cap recess is clear or else it will fill with rainwater which will drop into the tank every time you remove the filler.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm

That's a really obvious idea that I can't understand why I didn't think of it myself.

What I did was....

...filled it with petrol & rode about. I guess as it holds 22ltrs it diluted the water enough not to be a problem.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 am

Who would have thought it

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 pm

well not neceessarily. any water wont be diluted by the fuel you put in. water will just sit at thee bottom of the tank under thee fueluntil it either gets dragged through the carbs or else it rusts away the inside of thee tank and lets itself out. unfortunately, with modern ethanol fuels, water vapour will be absorbed into the fuel from the air and then will condense out of solution as just water and collect in the tank. unfortunately, most bik fueel tanks dont have the fuel outlet at the absolute lowest point in the tank. so water that gets in ther will stay and not bee able to get out.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed May 10, 2017 1:11 pm

It's fuel injected John, so the pick up is the lowest point in the tank. Meaning the water will have been 'drunk' by the engine & explains why the first tank or two run a little rough at times.