Clarification on the forthcoming "40 years exemption" from MoT for bikes with only "YEAR OF MANUFACTURE" on the V5C.

Natter about bike related stuff here
triumph5ta

Clarification on the forthcoming "40 years exemption" from MoT for bikes with only "YEAR OF MANUFACTURE" on the V5C.

Unread post by triumph5ta » Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 pm

As an example I have used my 1979 Yamaha XT500 which was imported from South Africa and registered in the UK on an age related plate in 2016:

If your bike was sold new in the UK then it will have a "date first registered" entry on the V5C which makes working out its 40th "birthday" easy.

BUT if your bike has been imported from overseas like my 1979 Yamaha XT500 then your date of first registration may be the date the DVLA issued you with an age related plate. Obviously for most of us this is nothing like 40 years ago. In my case it is 15 May 2016...
My V5C entry simply says "Year of manufacture 1979"
In this instance the DVLA will use 31 December 1979 as the "date of first registration" for calculating exemption from MoT and tax.
So if your V5C says "Year of Manufacture" then 31 December of that year will be your bike's "birthday" and when that birthday is 40 years or more in the past then the DVLA system should recognise that it is MoT and tax exempt.
Here is the word from DVSA. Note the comment that the exemption form will be changed from 20 May 2018 to include the 40 year exemption.
"As long as the DVLA have a date of manufacture/first use on the vehicle record which shows the vehicle is over 40 years old, the on-line tax renewal system should pick up that the vehicle is MOT exempt. I have checked the DVLA record for your vehicle and the date of manufacture is 31 December 1979, after this date you could apply for the exemption"
"If, for some reason, the system is still not allowing a vehicle to be taxed, there is also a V112 (self-declaration from MOT) application form that can be completed and taken to a Post Office."
"The V112 can be found online and it will be updated to show the above exemption from 20 May 2018"
"I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again"

I hope this makes things perfectly clear!

Zunspec

Re: Clarification on the forthcoming "40 years exemption" from MoT for bikes with only "YEAR OF MANUFACTURE" on the V5C.

Unread post by Zunspec » Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm

All of my bikes except the SV1000S will be exempt from the 20th May so timely information, thanks triumph5ta.

Cheers Geoff