bsa c15 very tight budget build!!

Post updates of classic projects here.
johnr

Re: bsa c15 very tight budget build!!

Unread postby johnr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 pm

right. ive mot'd it and insured it and just tonight ive taxed it online. took it out for a run afterwards and heres my impressions.

its small. ok its a 250, but after the m21, it seems light and quite flighty. a bit too flighty perhaps, possibly due to the fat off road tyres i think. its finally running sweetly due to an embarrassing oversight on my behalf. it ran ok but was a bit temperamental when starting, i thought it was cos it was a 40 odd year old brit bike, but im quite embarrased that i made a somewhat rookie mistake. after hours of cursing and kicking, plug swapping and more kicking and puffing. it dawned on me that the 3 spark plugs i was swapping between might all be duffers. one new ngk later, and it cracks up first kick and immediately settles to an even tickover, none of the woolyness and hunting that it did before. its crisp and has a real bark to it(for a c15!!) it still leaks oil like its going out of fashion. it smokes a little, though the new piston and rings arent yet bedded in and i think the head gasket has gone. however, thanks to the new ignition 'distributor' its even running and doesnt cough and fart. only other problem is an occasional tendency to drop out of first gear when the throttle is snapped open. brakes are pretty feeble, perhaps they might bed in a bit, the back drum is as oval as an egg by the feel of it, but it stops eventually!!
now, riding it!! im amazed. its, well, im almost embarrased to admit. its quick. yes, its a c15 and its quick! i think the high comp piston is the culprit here, but it revs right through each gear and in top i was leaving the dual carriageway traffic in my, albeit smokey, wake. and the noise is glorious, a deep throaty roar from the pipe and a nice matching induction noise almost drown out the rattling tappets!! im right impressed. id expected the c15 to be a worthy but rather dull plodder, but when it gets a shuffle on it goes like, well, a jap 250!! what i nice wee thing. im looking forward now to putting some miles under it to see if it all settles down to being a sweet running little bike. my mrs has claimed it though she needs to do her test first, but she has sat on it and quite likes the feel and the lightness of it, as she currently rides a 125 honda it wont be too much of a difference in weight, but its probably a wee bit quicker than the honda.

so, the saga continues!!

chris.k

Unread postby chris.k » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:07 pm

sounds like fun an games there john,

Iand

Unread postby Iand » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

Good work John, glad to hear it's running well!
1960 lambretta Li125 sold; 2001 Honda CG125 sold; 2006 Yamaha FZ6 sold; 1980 Kawasaki Z500 sold; 1967 BSA Bantam D10; 2008 Aprilia Shiver sold; 2010 KTM Duke 690R; 1954 BSA Bantam; 1980ish Kawasaki Z200

Buckinghamshire, UK

paulcali3

Unread postby paulcali3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Oil leaks, crap brakes, iffy gearbox and rattly motor...sounds like a good working Brit bike to me! I can tell you have already bonded with it. Enjoy!

johnr

Unread postby johnr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 pm

my mrs certainly has, shes on about taking her test this year and then she wants it for going to work on!!

she#s never been so keen to try any of my bikes before. i think the little beesa is just so unintimidating she couldnt resist trying it for size!

chris.k

Unread postby chris.k » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 pm

aleast she not after your katana's yet john? :D

love the colours of the bike ,

johnr

Unread postby johnr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 pm

took it for a proper spin the other day. ive sacked the useless speedo and put a mountain bike one in its place. it started first or second kick all day, and i put about 70 or so miles under its wheels without anythinh major. lost the oil tank cap and oddly a tappet cover to the vibration somewhere along the way, so i need to get busy with the locktite. it ran sweet, cruised at about 45mph and struggled into a headwind that battered the top whack down to 40 ish. but on the flat it whizzed upto 55 and would have gone faster had i given it the chance. so its not too bad. need s a bit of fettling, thats all. brakes are still poor, but the chain oiler works ok, hardly needed it due to the leaks from the motor mind!!! so, back in the shed to await the deliveryman from ebay!! whilst its there, i will do the tappets and check it all over, but as yhesterday was the longest run its had in over a decade, its not too bad. i also ran into yet another ex owner of it. its a guy i know from the village, but i hadnt realised it had been his bike too in the past. i really am wedded to the village bike it appears!! but its a sweet little thing, and fun to ride, i reccon another month before ive worked through its many small foibles and then it will be pretty much as i want it. shame really as i still cant reconcile how it came back into my hands, but, such is life eh!!

SMIFFY R

Unread postby SMIFFY R » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:17 pm

P'rap's it's destiny you got it back ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

johnr

Unread postby johnr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

got kind of carried away in the garage and now its in bits again! went to set the tappets, but the tops of the valves are a bit battered, and there seems to be a bit of side to side movement, so as id a half hour free i decided to get to the bottom of the major oil leak whilst im at it. so, head is now off, ive given the barrel a light hone, no scoring and the piston is unmarked but has a lot of carbon on its top for such a low mileage. anyhow, i dropped the valves out and the guides are pretty badly worn. theres about 1.5 to 2mm side to side movement in the guide so the valve can float about a bit. ive ordered a set of guides but the valve tops havd some peening on their tops so i might spin them in the lathe and tidy them up a bit. the head gasket has been blowing too, evidenced by oil spatters blown out onto the front mudgurd, so ive annealed it and cleaned it up, when the guides come im gonna clean the head up and perhaps give it a bit of a tidy in the ports cos theyre pretty coarse inside. oil tank cap came today but they sent the wrong size tappet cover,
aside from this lot its ok, i'll get it together and see if its better. the guides are probably the reason for the clattery top end, and the valves will have been hammering about due to their tops being so bttered. any idea about case hardening them when ive done or should i just put themin and let them harden by being battered by the tappets!!!!

johnr

Unread postby johnr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:54 pm

ok, so its all back together, copper head gasket annealed and cleaned up, new valve guides in and valves lapped in nicely , whilst it was in bits i also got a bit carried away with the dremmel and cleaned up the ports, smoothed everything and removed some of the sharp edges and tight radius bends, nothing major, just tidied it all up, all back on, new tappet cover, checked the oil and it started second kick and instantly settled to an even smooth tickover. which is a good sign, next the front brake, the wheel came out and eventually gave up the old shoes which were a bit worn, it was also full of dust and the pivots were pretty rusty all of which wouldnt help the thing stop, so new ferrodo shoes in and drum cleaned out, all back together but now the cable is too short. seems a previous owner got round the worn shoes by shortening the cable, so ive removed a half inch of the outer and it now fits and works ok, so cable off again and the good old hydraulic cable oiler comes into its own once more, (best investment i ever made) shoved a load of dirty rusty crud out of the end, but the brake cable mow moves smoothly so i'll leave it hanging up overnight to drain the rest of the oil and then tomorrow i will take it for a spin to see if its made a difference. ive noticed how it is considerably mechanically quieter from the top end of the motor so it seems the guides were a good investment.

Return to “In the shed”