bsa c15 very tight budget build!!

Post updates of classic projects here.
johnr

Re: bsa c15 very tight budget build!!

Unread post by johnr » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 am

they do turn up if you keep your ears open. my shed contains a 300 quid m21 and a 25 quid suzuki katana, all picked up via word of mouth, my mrs runs a '95 honda step thru that was a freeby-take it away before i skip it, and ive another 1975 honda 90 with 9000 miles on it that i paid 50 quid for. look out in the free papers, check out the notice boards in asda/morrisons etc, and just ask about. its surprising who has old bikes locked away in their sheds.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 am

has this thread been stickied?

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 am

Yes, so that folks like forum newbie Tsunami can find it !

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Give you £350 for the M21 John :roll:

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 pm

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha youre a funny guy!! tbh, im quite attatched to the old girl. ive a shed full of katanas and other stuff, but if it were all ablaze and i could only recover one bike from the flames. i just know it would be the rattly leaky smokey rusty old sidevalve that i would drag out absolutely every time. dont ask me why. my kats are wonderful machines and not devoid of character themselves. but that beesa is a thing beyond price to me. i got it from a very good friend, and i wouldnt part with it for a kings ransom. its got soul!!

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:03 am

So thats a NO then John :o ;)

Yep ! some bikes just grow with you and are part of the family,others are just bikes ,somehow i thought you'd decline the offer :lol:

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:43 pm

well, i sent the write up and the pics and even a link to here off to the mag with the entry for cboty 2009, but looking at the line up, i think i didnt spend enough money on this bike! i recon if i had thrown another 3 grand on an unrealistic minty fresh build up, my aplication wouldnt have gone straight in the bin!
but , as i said earlier, this build wasnt for anything other than the reason i gave at the start.

though there arent many bikes in the mag these days that arent being cosseted back to as new condition.

do you think its time now to un-sticky this and let it drop off the page?

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:04 pm

johnr wrote:Do you think its time now to un-sticky this and let it drop off the page?
Nope, because along with McNut's Saga of the Neville it's a good thread for anyone else doing a full rebuild on a budget.

I might create a separate subsection for articles like this, or move it into the Masterclasses section.

tfb

Unread post by tfb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Now that's a great story to read... nearly had a quiet little sniffle to myself!
I wish old bikes were as easy to find here in Western Australia as they seem to be in pommy-land. All I ever seem to find are old lawnmowers... :roll:

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:41 am

ok, an update on this story, almost a year since the last post and the thick end of 2 years since the original one. and well, its back. following the original story, dave never really used the beesa, its not been without its problems, which we both knew about, namely the distributor was pretty mullered, so it would run a bit intermittently, the dissy was worn so it was either a pig to start but ran great when warmed up, or, on other days, a doddle to start but ran like a bag of nails. anyhow, i knew this and bought a new dissy, which i was going to fit, but never got the chance to. time passed ant it sat unused, having covered only 20 miles or so since it was built. this week, for reasons that ive no intention of divulging on here, he gave it back to me, im not going to go into any great details over this, aside to say that the little beesa is back in my shed once more, looking pretty much the same as when it left. my thoughts are that its sad, i had intended it as something he could pass on to his kids, but we've seen very little of each other this last 18 months or so, and i was pretty much told to get it, and myself, out of his life. im pretty sad really, we've been mates a long while, and whilst this fracturing of our friendship has nothing to do with the beesa, its a sad emblem of the mate i once had. so i think i will strip it into boxes and bury it away in the back of the shed for a few years.

and that, my friends, really is the end of this tale! :? :cry: