Triumph 500 Speed Twin

Post updates of classic projects here.
The Mighty Gusset

Re: Triumph 500 Speed Twin

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm

I reckon that seat base might be beyond repair.
But that doesn't mean Leightons won't say differently.
I'd email them a bunch of photos and see what they suggest, and how much it's likely to cost.
info@rk-leighton.co.uk
Don't forget to tell them who sent you !

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Evening Gus,

On subsequent inspection the seat pan also appears to have been fibre-glassed underneath, I don't expect it is going to be worth the effort. New replica seats seem to be available so I'll check them out.

Cheers Zunspec

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Zunspec wrote: Interestingly I found out today there is such a thing as "British" imperial and "American" Imperial, as least with regards to AF. Guess what most socket sets etc. come in "American" Imperial which are a tad smaller than the Brit equivalent, anyone else heard of this.
I seem to remember something about this being posted before. I think yanks have a slightly smaller inch & it all stems from that. I'm sure the other thread to mention it talked about the reason Allison Merlins were shite for a while was following proper UK measurements rather than translating to yanky ones.
Classics ain't built in Metric

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:12 am

Hooli wrote: I think yanks have a slightly smaller inch & it all stems from that.
Does this have anything to do with the urban myth (?) about the New York prossies' ruler? The one that is calibrated in smaller inches to make the bloke think he's bigger than he is? :lol:
I know a lot of the US measures are quite a bit different from British, certainly their Ton is different (short Ton) and I notice they tend to express body weight in pounds rather than stones/lbs.
I do remember meeting a guy who was working on a Harley for the first time and was confused by his metric spanners not fitting. When I mentioned AF his reply was "wassat mean.....American Fred?" :roll:

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:31 am

Most probably telling folks what they already know, A/F means measured across the flats,so a UNC or UNF bolt is matched to an A/F spanner by the opposite flats on the hexagon head ,where as Whitworth + BSF and what I call Imperial spanners are measured by the Diam of the bolt.
Ain't got me head around Metric yet,but i know 13 mm is handy :lol:

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 am

http://www.burtonbikebits.net/images/cimg0803.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it might be cheaper to get one of these rather than buying a new base to recover?

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:40 pm

spitfiregoggles wrote:
Hooli wrote: I think yanks have a slightly smaller inch & it all stems from that.
Does this have anything to do with the urban myth (?) about the New York prossies' ruler? The one that is calibrated in smaller inches to make the bloke think he's bigger than he is? :lol:
I know a lot of the US measures are quite a bit different from British, certainly their Ton is different (short Ton) and I notice they tend to express body weight in pounds rather than stones/lbs.
I do remember meeting a guy who was working on a Harley for the first time and was confused by his metric spanners not fitting. When I mentioned AF his reply was "wassat mean.....American Fred?" :roll:
Their gallon is wrong too i think. They still use the one they stole on the Mayflower but ours changed at some point. I forget who it was on here explaining it all once.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm

DAVE M2 wrote:http://www.burtonbikebits.net/images/cimg0803.jpg

it might be cheaper to get one of these rather than buying a new base to recover?
Thanks Dave, thats the route I shall probably take. Lots of other stuff on the Burtons site so thanks for the link also.

Cheers Zunspec
Last edited by Zunspec on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:36 am

Hooli wrote:
spitfiregoggles wrote:
Their gallon is wrong too i think. They still use the one they stole on the Mayflower but ours changed at some point. I forget who it was on here explaining it all once.
Gus most likely!
When I was an apprentice I worked on a job that had some bizarre (metric) dimensions.......metric inches they was; the drawing office had simply converted the dimensions from feet and inches into miilimetres without any rounding up or down :roll:

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:18 pm

Nope, I think it was a yankie member. Gus chimed in later about gallons of ale & so forth.