Triumph 500 Speed Twin

Post updates of classic projects here.
Zunspec

Re: Triumph 500 Speed Twin

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Jimmy,

It's definitely in the v/near vicinity of the rear-left mounting bolt. I have yet to do any fine inspection, it sapped my enthusiasm somewhat to find it pissing out. However now that the engine is going Brrum-Brrum enthusiasm has returned and I'll have a go tomorrow. Gus is correct in advising welding but the thought of getting it re-sprayed (@ circa £250) does not appeal.

Don't worry, a pint on the veranda of the Duck Bay overlooking a sun dappled Loch Lomond is still a goal for next summer :D 8-) 8-) .

Cheers Geoff

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Zunspec wrote:Hi Jimmy,

Don't worry, a pint on the veranda of the Duck Bay overlooking a sun dappled Loch Lomond is still a goal for next summer :D 8-) 8-) .

Cheers Geoff

I look forward to it mate.

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 am

Nice one Z :D

I had a load of pinhole leaks on a petrol tank , so as a get by (i'll fix it properly next week :lol: )i just spread epoxy metal over the holes,JB weld i think it was then toshed some paint over that,that was over 3 years ago :o and it still looks good .

Admit its not a proper job and a weld would be better , but so far so good , maybe worth a try ;)

Good luck
Chill

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Congratulations, sound great. Mine's still in a thousand bits, but I'm on the case...

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Hiya Paul/chilli,

It does sound rather good (to my ear anyway) I must admit 8-) , expectations exceeded on that front. Oil is at least returning to the oil tank, I hope it's getting to all the other places it should go :D .

I have been pressurising the tank via the fuel tap and can confirm that I do have leak underneath the left/rear tank mounting plate. I'm a bit surprised as that was the least rust affected area on the tank, ho hum. I'm going to use 24 hour epoxy to fill in the channel and go from there, if all else fails welding/brazing and a re-spray.

Cheers Geoff

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:17 pm

Fixed the petrol tank leak and then did some Carb tweaking, tuned up a treat. Now to track down where the oil is coming from :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zunspec/6432087955/in/photostream

The battery has a nice healthy 13.2V at idle rising to 13.8V with a bit of revs so Gen and Rect/Reg seem to be doing their job

Cheers Zunspec

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Kicking my heels Pittsfield MA at the moment, which means no work on the bike this week. I may fall prey to fettling withdrawal syndrome and have to make do with alchohol and big sirloin steaks instead. What a bummer.

On the bike front I removed the 2nd split link in the drive chain and got it all hooked up as normal. Bugger me why it would'nt do it in the first place. Might try for the MOT after Christmas when I have few days off.

Cheers Geoff

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Desperately searching for the knee grips I thought I had bought I was forced to check the receipts, nope I did not actually buy any :D . Anyway I then added it all up (so far). For your amusement, derision or education this is the bill so far.

Original bike - £650 (bargain)

New parts - £2163 (ouch)

Services - £1000 (powder coating, vapour blasting, plating etc.)

Engine services £300 (crank re-grind, new valve guides etc)

S/S nut/bolts & sundries - £200

I'm sure I have lost a few receipts, so, with the original bike about £4500. If resold maybe £3500, amateur restoration isn't going to provide riches monetarily, but, wealth in abundance if you have a good laugh doing it :lol:

Cheers Zunspec

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am

So, comparatively cheap compared to your Japanese restorations then ?

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Gus, feck knows what I spent on the T500, the bloody thing is virtually new. I'm calling it a day on the resto front after the Triumph, I have to get out and ride the bloody things, although there's always the NC30s to fettle back to road worthy condition :D .

Cheers Geoff