Indian Chout

Post updates of classic projects here.
steve

Indian Chout

Unread post by steve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Ive been gathering parts for my next build for nearly a year now. The plan was hatched after visiting the Indian Rally at Traquair last year, and having numerous "tea break" phone conversations with my mate Grizz darn sarf. I want to put together a prewar Indian hotrod, something that is essentially all period Indian but the best of what was available in the late 30's. Having sold off most of my pile of triumph parts in a bit of an ebayfest I had a bit of cash tied up in paypal and very soon had most of a 1933 Chief motor flying over the Atlantic having been liberated from Las Vegas!

During the course of this year, a late 1920's transmission and primary was added to the pile and more recently a very battered 1929 101 Scout frame arrived form Conneticut in the USA.

So now Ive got most of the major components .... whats the plan?

While I have been gathering parts, I've also been gathering info, I set up a blog http://choutbreeders.blogspot.com/ where i requested info and build reports about other Chout builds, Ive had a lot of response to it and it has grown quite nicely.

I recently put up a second chout blog to diary the build of my own bike - here's a link http://indianchout.blogspot.com/

The Mighty Gusset

Re: Indian Chout

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Looks fascinating - Good Luck with that.
Have you not had death threats from the purists - or are they put off getting to you by your remoteness up there in the Black Isle ?

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:11 pm

this looks like an interesting project, going to be keeping my eye on this one!!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Looks & sounds fun to me.
Classics ain't built in Metric

steve

Unread post by steve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:38 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Looks fascinating - Good Luck with that.
Have you not had death threats from the purists - or are they put off getting to you by your remoteness up there in the Black Isle ?
ive set traps, left trails of rivets leading into the peat bogs........... they'll never catch me!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

steve

Unread post by steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:58 pm

newly built up Shunk race cams , Bonneville followers and pushrods arrived from New Mexico this week, meanwhile i have been porting the cylinders

just waiting for a package from Denmark and one from Germany, then I can build the top end up

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm not sure I understand what's happening there - but it looks like fun !

steve

Unread post by steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's happening there - but it looks like fun !
you n me both mate :lol:

the bottom end of the motor is built up bar the cam chest, been waiting for the cams and followers to arrive from Performance Indian in New Mexico. meanwhile I have been sorting out a new set of Indian (made in Dehli) aftermarket Chief cylinders ready to build the top end up. Waiting for a set of valves, some nuts n bolts and an oil pump driver gear from various sources so i can get it all together.

in the meantime the 101 frame is sitting at my mate's workshop waiting to get jigged up on his bench to be re tubed and modified to accomodate the larger than standard (for a 101) motor.

when it all comes together I should have a hot, 1200cc, flathead powered, rigid framed, leaf forked, period, 1930's road burner 8-)

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:27 am

By the looks of the weather up your way you'll be needing some heated grips as well Steve ;)

The builds coming on niceley,an interesting project 8-)

steve

Unread post by steve » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

yeah its a tad chilly ;) this was a couple of days ago, we've had another 6-8" since

brushed the snow of theTriumphs magneto, two slow priming kicks choke on, fired up straight away 8-)