Neville the Minsk

Post updates of classic projects here.
ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Neville the Minsk

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Well it could be a Neval, or a Regent or a minsk, same bike just different names. Apparently they were hot potatoes in Viet Nam so I'm told.
Today I started the stripdown.But first things first. I put petrol/oil mix in the tank which incidently was remarkably clean inside, no rust or flaky stuff in there, took the plug out and cleaned it. I noticed that the plug gap was 0.012 which I reckon is a bit small but I'll check that out at a later date. Kicked it over a few times and it started, ran for a short time and cut out. I decided not to try starting it again as I hadn't changed the gear oil and I was just relieved that it started at all.
First thing off was the back box. I'm not sure yet if I'll put that back on or not. It's in good condition just needing a clean so I may well decide to reuse it, I'll see.
Seat off then the side boxes.First thing to strike me is that the Russian electrics are like nothing I've seen before on British bikes. No battery to this model so it's direct lighting and spark. There is a very unusual coil on this machine, next time up I'll try and get a picture of it.
It was great to get back out in the shed again with a project to occupy my time.
The second bike I'm certainly going to consider making into a trialer in the winter, but thats for later.
Okay watch this space and I'll keep you up to date.Just a couple of starter pictures included.
:roll:
Attachments
Neville 1.JPG

ClassicMcNut

Re: Neville the Minsk

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Other side
Attachments
Neville 2.JPG

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:00 pm

I had a 'thought' while I was in the pub !
Bearing in mind that they were available Brand Spanky New in places like Vietnam until very recently, It might be worthwhile asking our Firestarter Friend in Thailand if he can track down some spares for you.

850norton

Unread post by 850norton » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Gus may be on to sommat there. Even some of the ex-eastern block places may have them floating about.

It looks vaguely like one of those early Suzukis, the 250 Hustler I think it were. Could be wrong :?

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:36 pm

850norton wrote:Gus may be on to sommat there. Even some of the ex-eastern block places may have them floating about.

Oh, there are Zillions of the things floating around in Eastern Europe, it's getting them back here that's the problem.
Loz could just bung one in an envelope and post it.

ClassicMcNut

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:55 pm

There's a guy on E Bay flogging a NOS engine. IF I hadn't been able to start it today I would have been solely tempted to have bought it. However the main things it appears to need look like things like cables and switches which I can use bog standard from other makes, even make up the cables. Only bit that really bothers me and I may get in touch with Eastbloc to see if he knows the answer, is if I can replace the old Soviet coil and indicator electrical systems with standard british ones. I need to know what the output is though from the generator/alternator before I can decide whether to go down that route. I think it is imperative I find a manual for it but so far no luck.
I'll get in touch with that link you gave me after the weekend Gus
:|

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm

ClassicMcNut wrote:I need to know what the output is though from the generator/alternator before I can decide whether to go down that route.
:|

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !
You a Funneeeee !

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Her's the info you need ClassicMcNut.

http://www.minskclubvietnam.com/international.htm

Just dont copy the 2nd picture down. :!:

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:57 pm

I could almost have written that Repair Manual myself !
In fact I may have done !

I do like the way we embrace silliness on here !

ClassicMcNut

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:09 pm

DAM wrote:Her's the info you need ClassicMcNut.

http://www.minskclubvietnam.com/international.htm

Just dont copy the 2nd picture down. :!:

Thanks Dam ........ I knew someone more skilled than me would know how to find that.
:D