So it begins: TR6

Post updates of classic projects here.
scotduke

Re: So it begins: TR6

Unread post by scotduke » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:19 am

Good luck with the Trident Zun - still remember the first time I saw a BSA triple

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 am

A contact says he knows the whereabouts of BSA Rocket 3 (in pieces), owner might be tempted to sell. What I would really like is a bare engine so I could go down the P&M route. I also have to get a brain examination to see if I am medically bonkers or just a common or garden idiot :D

Cheers Geoff

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Well it's been a long time but the Triumph is not only running but had been awarded one of those funny Mot things that I never needed in Ireland. However there is an issue with getting a UK registration-see post in Biking Chat. My phone camera stopped working so no pics available for a couple of years. Anyway a summary of what you've been missing; Huge fortunes spent on completion, Not one but TWO new side stands broke (Part no. 83. 1560-avoid), one before I even got the bike running. Excellent replacement made through Guzzi club contacts-thank you Mark. Also new Lucas coil failed early on- replaced with old one retrieved from bin-oh yes! Second coil is now playing up I think. Around 1000 miles up now, very oiltight at first but then the dam broke and the rocker boxes let rip...will attend to that shortly. Handling excellent-probably best of any bike I've owned...love it, and with the cheapest available new shocks on it. OK so they may disintegrate after a year but I needed something to proceed with the build. Avon Roadrider tyres very good. Front brake with RGM M/Cylinder upgrade & Grimeca alloy caliper is good, certainly a big improvement though still some tweaking to do regarding lever travel. Alloy pressure plate & 7 plate clutch upgrade- big improvement there, smooth light action to gearchange though still crunchy going in to 1st. Cooked a solid state rectifier probably through overheating, new one in a cooler position. other than that no breakdowns or major issues. Did not need to rebuild the rear wheel for MOT- just straightened the bent spokes with hammer & drift. Lots of favourable comments from general biking public-surprised me as the bike is still rather scruffy. Some people tell me that's what they like about it! I tell them it's not deliberate...still experimenting with carb jets. Flushed with success I somehow bought part of a Rigid Panther; no not a stuffed animal from the days of the Raj but...you know. Onward we go! Many thanks for all advice & assistance, most of all to Brendan & Hacker Farm for workspace and support, & to Mark for side stand & donated battery. Three cheers Hip Hip..

Afterthought; When you've just spent over £5000 & five years rebuilding a bike, & someone comes up to look it over & says "and are going to do it up?" what is the appropriate reaction?

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue May 17, 2016 1:22 pm

paulcali3 wrote: Afterthought; When you've just spent over £5000 & five years rebuilding a bike, & someone comes up to look it over & says "and are going to do it up?" what is the appropriate reaction?
Kick them in the nuts.
Classics ain't built in Metric

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Yes that would certainly improve the image of motorcyclists in the public eye...tempting though it is. My oil leak has reached embarrassing proportions, an environmental catastrophe, seems to be a head gasket issue, oil spatters the top of the crankcase and drips off the top barrel fin when parked. 750 big bore kit, was fine for first few hundred miles following rebuild. Have replaced rocker box gaskets & pushrod tube seals seem ok. Could be a head bolt problem...will have it off next week, ha ha, can't wait. Surely Triumphs don't leak oil? (Sigh)

Afterthought: If it leaks, observers will always point out the fact. If it doesn't, observers will always point that out too.