So it begins: TR6

Post updates of classic projects here.
Hooli

Re: So it begins: TR6

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:33 pm

I put a 21 tooth on Stroppy to make up for the 16" rear. That was fun as I had to file 21 slots behind the clutch to slide it in :lol:
Classics ain't built in Metric

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes it's either that or pull out the gearbox internals to fit a bigger sprocket. One thing about Triumphs that's a real pain. Never liked the clutch either. It's a crude old thing. Commando, A65 (and M20!) are way nicer. Anyone have recommendations for the ideal Triumph clutch? I have the alloy pressure plate (which doesn't improve anything) and a new centre. I've seen a three spring changed to a four spring for better grip but I don't have the cash for a major upgrade!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Yes I heard that about gearbox internals too. Doesn't work on a T140, the sprocket is wider than the gap between the gearbox & primary case.
Classics ain't built in Metric

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:09 pm

I fitted the 7 plate conversion kit, T120 springs and the billet pressure plate. I thought it lightened the action a good bit

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

me too.

I have the alli plate, 7 plate clutch and feather light venhill cable. Makes a difference.

You can go Hydraulic with a kit from LP Williams but then you have a problem switch gear wise with T140 E & Ds. For balance, you'd need to fit a similar master cylinder to the front brake

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm

All standard on my 650 but run it on ATF , works fine , can even select 1st while stopped :o , not good stuff in T140s tho :lol: ;)

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Although you can fit a crankshaft oil seal, block up the 3 levelling holes and run ATF. (so I have been told, but never done it)

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Ok in case you thought I wasn't doing anything in the Shed and had lost interest or grown lazy let me explain that I was distracted by that unfamiliar activity Paid Employment as well as by Puppies (please take them!), Ice & Snow. The frame is moving closer to the warmth of great indoors ready for painting..(suggestions please for the best paint?)Image Also the new tappet blocks are in place thanks to man with factory tool..
Image It's great when the boxes, tins, bags etc of bits starts thinning out and the bike starts to take shape. Next on the wish list is new gearbox sprocket then finish gearbox assembly and fix threads in fork slider...thanks all for clutch suggestions...I will go with what I have for now and aspire to 7- plate kit.

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok a long overdue reassessment of life means I am relocated to the UK, unfortunately the Triumph is not with me. I've been stocking up with bits from the very helpful BritBits in Dorset but after years of having the bike with me but no spares supplier I now have a spares supplier but no bike to put my shiny new bits on....as many of you will know moving home with an unfinished project is bad enough but moving countries....anyone with a van who fancies a trip to Ireland & back to the south Somerset area let me know...need to collect Norton, Sportster & Triumph plus other stuff...

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome back to dis-civilisation :D .

You can sometimes get very good deals on weekend van hire (Fri night to Sun night). Ample time to pop back and collect all your biking goodies.

Cheers Geoff