So it begins: TR6

Post updates of classic projects here.
paulcali3

Re: So it begins: TR6

Unread post by paulcali3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:39 pm

You say "calipers" Geoff...you bought more than one? This is a cripplingly expensive hobby indeed. Mind you to put it in perspective, in Ireland it was over £350 a year just to tax the Ford Focus. I think I'll concentrate on buying Things that will Make it Run & deal with luxuries like brakes, mudguards, seat etc. later. Keen to know what it sounds like (presuming I get any sound out of it at all). It was a single carb 650, now it's a twin carb 750.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Hiya Paul,

I bought 2 of these for the Seeley:

http://www.apracing.com/product_details ... -38e0.aspx

£150 each from Dennis Trollop Racing (He mostly sells on eBay these days but I can pop into his shop as it's local to work). To put it into further perspective the matching AP Lockheed master cylinder is £323, that's why I bought a Magura alternative :D . As far as I know the alloy number is dimensionally the same as the cast iron lump fitted as standard to the Bonnie.

I love the sound of my 500, although in fact it can be a bit too loud with the virtually straight through std silencers it's fitted with, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

What ign. are you going to use ?

Cheers Geoff

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm

I have a used boyer brandsen kit I bought nearly 15 years ago and have never tested...if it works I will be forced for economic reasons to use it...though I prefer a points set up. But that means new advance/retard unit, backplate, etc. Either way I need new coils...the 1970s Jap coils have served me well but they really need to be retired (ie binned). EVERYTHING on this bike is/was damaged or worn out. Except the gearbox internals (silver lining).

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 pm

.....And the cams (sigh of financial relief).

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:03 am

OK it's been a while....but something is stirring in deepest Somerset...the clink of spanners and the rustling of shiny new bits being unwrapped. And, if we listen very carefully, the scream of anguish as I break a piston ring while trying to fit the new barrels. (And naturally, the broken bit went into the crankcase). Later that evening the Guzzi broke down again. This actually gave me more incentive, if any were needed, to get something reliable on the road...like the Triumph. New bits lined up on the bench include: 7 plate clutch kit & new plain plate set; exhaust balance pipe, clutch lever. Once I slap the head back together & buy coils & wire it up...we will hear the sound of repeated kick (not) starting, gasping for breath, profanity etc. And then it will start and settle to a pleasingly even tickover. And that is normally where the problems really begin. Photos soon.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Good on you paul. Onwards and upwards

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Reliable bikes do have their uses, it's true.

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Image On fishing in my crankcase with the magnet-on-a-stick I retrieved these... (well, the two small bits) Image and then, startlingly, this. I know what you're thinking. It's a roller from a main bearing though not the new ones fitted...this one has signs of wear and obviously fell into the motor some time in the last two years...if I hadn't have broken the piston ring I'd never have known it was there, till it smashed a piston or some such. Image Anyway, it's all better now. Barrel on & it kicks over nicely. Oil seems to be returning to the tank. Image And so to the 7-plate clutch kit...note coathanger wire method for securing alternator wires out of harm's way.Image And alloy pressure plate. The front dowel of the chain tensioner slips out of the casing hole when tensioned (edge of hole slightly broken). I'll do what I did before & fit a bit of bent steel (inexplicably lost in house move!) in the tensioner outer slot & the alternator stator when secured will hold it in place. And why not.Image Image Alloy front guard in place.
Last edited by paulcali3 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 pm

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho ... 2371_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Toilet pipe ring clamps, cable ties & plywood, works a treat. Many thanks to Bren & Hacker Farm.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm also told that a 2ltr plastic coke/lemonade/cider bottle works as a source for the 'ring plastic"