So it begins: TR6

Post updates of classic projects here.
paulcali3

So it begins: TR6

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Inspired into action (largely by Zunspec) and in possession of all the new bits I'm making a start. Image
Routt 750 kit & new rods & tappet blocks. SRM reconditioned crank:Image
And cases with new bearings...Image
Beautiful British welding...(!)Image
Straight away there's a problem....new oil filter won't go in without removing oil feed pipe...What to do? Stay tuned..Image.Image

Zunspec

Re: So it begins: TR6

Unread post by Zunspec » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Hey, nice one Paul. Lots of lovely shiny bits and that big bore kit looks the business.

I wouldn't fancy having to rub down the frame by hand knowing that blasting services and the like are few and far between in Ireland. Don't worry your fingerprints will grow back :D :D :D

Cheers Geoff

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 am

There are several reasons to strip the frame myself...I've run out of money...I'm a stubborn type and have a lot of time to spare...we only have a Mazda 2 seater sports car and the frame won't fit into it. In fact even I have trouble fitting into it...these 70s Triumph frames are quite poorly made...lots of welding "clag" and spatter if that's the term and pretty rough. Mine cracked & leaked oil where the swinging arm pivot welds on and the stand brackets broke. I've seen T140s with the upper frame rails broken off (the bit the seat sits on.) Not to say they're a bad frame, :roll: it's just a shame they were made by Triumph...still I reckon they handle as well as a Featherbed.

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Image Oh dear. Drive side bearing is in place but it's a struggle to get it into the race in the casing & is not turning 100% smoothly when in place. Is it the wrong way round? I get the feeling the lip on the bearing should be against the crank although it won't contact the race either way. The only way I can see this would matter is if the rollers were slightly tapered ie the bearing would easily go into the race one way round but not the other...

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Is the rotation poor when the other case is fitted + has it got oil in the bearing ?

When the other case is fitted give it all a tap with a hide mallet just to maybe square it all up.

Some roller bearings have different tolerences when fitted,hopefully yours is the right one ?

Bearing isn't tapered + i don't think it matters which way its fitted

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm

I haven't tried fitting the other casing yet...I thought the crank should drop into the drive side case without any effort. I want it to be right before I fit rods to crank...I'm sure it's the right bearing.

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Have you got the bearing to slide in at all,its sometimes very difficult if its not dead square ,but once its in you will only get a true reading on how the crank will turn when both crankcases are together,maybe even then a tap here and there will help settle it.

How tight was the roller going onto the crankshaft or the outer going into the cases ,excessively tight will close the bearing tolerences ?

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:29 pm

OK the outer race dropped in nicely with case heated to 150 degrees, just a light tap to seat it. The bearing was tapped onto the crank without much effort or heating. Tomorrow I'll try fitting the crank in the two cases before I go fitting the rods.

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 am

Good luck

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok after the excitement of the Cork Jazz Festival, and having got enough gigs to pay for a squirty oil can & some jointing compound, I can get back to the winter project (ie, I'll have it on the road for the worst of the winter weather)Image Rods in place, silky smooth. Squirted loads of oil into the crank first of course. Image Rods protected from harm. Highly technical!