Yes Another Bantam Build!

Post updates of classic projects here.
Cube

Yes Another Bantam Build!

Unread post by Cube » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Only with a difference, i have absolutely no idea what I am doing. :lol:
So I'm going to stumble through it and learn!

This is what I got for free last night and some spare bits. Not shown in the photo are another 2 frames and front end and another engine. And 2 Spare tanks and some crank cases and filters.

Looking at the engine , its got D14B 9197 on. So its a d14b. A pretty standard one i presume. Its has good compression and the gears seem ok.

So I am thinking of maybe it looking like this maybe :

http://pembrokeshireclassics.com/shop/p ... 8a21bcef63

Im guessing first steps are to strip the frame, label everything and box it in sections and take it all the parts off and write down so i can remember how to put things back on again.

Velton

Re: Yes Another Bantam Build

Unread post by Velton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

May I suggest that you get it running first?
Then you will know what needs doing.
Gears working?
Electrics charging etc.

What is the mileage on the speedo?

If it doesn't really NEED rebuilding then why not just get it working properly, MoT and tax it then ride it as it stands (more or less) - new tyres and tubes would be wise.
Rebuilding it will cost more than it will ever be worth.
So unless you really want to do all that work and spend all that money then I would advise against a complete rebuild, FWIW.

Just my 2d. worth.
Good Luck whatever you decide. 8-)
Just being old doesn't make it a "Classic."

Aaaah! Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Velton

Re: Yes Another Bantam Build

Unread post by Velton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Oooops!
Duplicate posting.

Cube

Re: Yes Another Bantam Build!

Unread post by Cube » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Its a good shout. Unfortunately I have no speedo so dont know its mileage . THE electrics seem a bit confusing. Nothing is connected, and no front head light

Seems to have good compression. And the gears click onto place well

I have lots of time at moment. Waiting for knee surgery. So need something to occupy my time so don't mind making it all pretty.

So shall do the electrics. And see if it starts. Thanks

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I'd go with Velton,once it's running,good clean with an oily rag,bit of spit and polish and you've got a runner,loads of fun and saved a fortune....plus you can mess about with all the other bits during the winter!....that's if there's any difference in the UK! :lol:
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

Iand

Unread post by Iand » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey Cube, good luck with the build, sounds like you got a great deal there, how did you wangle that lot for free?? Lucky man!
I have a couple of bantams with a 3rd on the way, I would take veltons advise a get it running as is, once you have everything sorted then if you still want to do a full rebuild you'll have a much better idea of what does what, what works, and what needs fixing or replacing. It's what I did with my first bantam, I have just stripped it completely and pick up the parts from the shot blasters.
There is a good forum at bsabantamclub.com with loads of help advice parts for sale etc

IanD
1960 lambretta Li125 sold; 2001 Honda CG125 sold; 2006 Yamaha FZ6 sold; 1980 Kawasaki Z500 sold; 1967 BSA Bantam D10; 2008 Aprilia Shiver sold; 2010 KTM Duke 690R; 1954 BSA Bantam; 1980ish Kawasaki Z200

Buckinghamshire, UK

Cube

Unread post by Cube » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 am

Well the guy was moving house and wanted to clear the space but didnt have the means to do it. He's a friend of the family.

Yeah im going to do what velton suggests as that sounds logical. Although im going to have to mock up some electrics as there is nothing connected.

Any circuit diagrams about, a basic one ? One that doesnt include the headlights or breaklight or rear light. Just so i can connect up to the battery and coil and engine.

Quick noob questions. Whats the bit to the left of coil if you were standing on the LHS. Looks like a little metal radiator.

sbsbsa

Unread post by sbsbsa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 am

If the Bantam has been standing for a long time you may need to strip the engine anyway because the oil seals have a habit of failing when left. The engine then pulls in gearbox oil etc and doesn't (won't) start. When you say about a little radiator, what exactly do you mean. Could that be the rectifier? It is possible to jury rig some electrics to fire the bike up. I think it's from the battery to the coil and an earth but DO NOT take that last for gospel. I could well be wrong! Good luck with it.
Steve

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am

http://bantam.150m.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any good?

as everyone else says, I'd have a go at getting it running but sending as little as possible.

Never worked on a bantam but stripped a CZ once - they're pretty much the same.

There was a quite nice budget BSA in Classic Bike a few months ago, he'd painted things like the rims and created a semi Bushman.

If you're not up on prices, new wheels and tyres could be around £400, powder coat frame £100 new loom maybe £30.
But if you do it on a shoestring, you can save a fortune. Unfortunately, a Bantam costs pretty much the same to restore as a Goldie, apart from the BSA parts, so try to spend as little as poss and have a bit of fun.

Velton

Unread post by Velton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow, those wiring digrams are great!
8-)
D14/ B seems not to have a battery, I didn't know that.

Good point about the crankshaft oil seals.
Personally,I would still try to get her running first and then see what happens.......

New tyres from about £37 , tubes under a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-75-18-48P-C ... 45fd65f04d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;