Triumph 500

Post updates of classic projects here.
DAVE M2

Re: Triumph 500

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm

I have a couple of cubs and a selection of whitworth sockets.

I found it useful to buy a set of whit box spanners as they're pretty cheap

bacon's dozen are a cheapish source for whit stuff
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 pm

So the nuts came off easy enough in the end, but when I removed the outer casing there was a couple of big blobs of emulsified oil, and a wee drop of water, yes water, came out. Now the set up where the clutch cable enters is not great so the water may have got in there, and I had previously "drained" the gearbox. No oil and a wee drop of water came out. I overfilled the g/box with oil to help prevent any corrosion whilst I am working on the bike, and when I drained it again today it looked ok.
Now the question is.
Once the bike is running will it be ok to add a flushing oil to the gearbox for a few miles and then change the oil again, or will it need the box opened and inspected

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

If it's as simple as a T140 box then I'd whip it out for a look. It's only an hour or two depending if you just need to wipe it or clean it properly.
Classics ain't built in Metric

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Here's a couple of pics as it is now. The exhaust is just sitting there as I will need to take the gearbox cover off again.

and

So here we go again. I had the gearbox outer cover off, cleaned the gunge as reported above, and I put it back on, I fitted the new clutch plates and checked it was engaging and disengaging. Anyway I then stuck the gear lever back on and it wont select a gear. The lever moves up and down alright just wont select.
What have I done wrong

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Sounds mis-indexed? I dunno how yours works but with T140s you have to build the box in neutral to index it properly.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I never stripped the box hooli, I just removed, and replaced a few days later, the outer cover.
I'll have a look again tomorrow

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh, I misread you post sorry. Dunno then.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

jimmy wrote:So the nuts came off easy enough in the end, but when I removed the outer casing there was a couple of big blobs of emulsified oil, and a wee drop of water, yes water, came out. Now the set up where the clutch cable enters is not great so the water may have got in there, and I had previously "drained" the gearbox. No oil and a wee drop of water came out. I overfilled the g/box with oil to help prevent any corrosion whilst I am working on the bike, and when I drained it again today it looked ok.
Now the question is.
Once the bike is running will it be ok to add a flushing oil to the gearbox for a few miles and then change the oil again, or will it need the box opened and inspected
jimmy wrote: So here we go again. I had the gearbox outer cover off, cleaned the gunge as reported above, and I put it back on, I fitted the new clutch plates and checked it was engaging and disengaging. Anyway I then stuck the gear lever back on and it wont select a gear. The lever moves up and down alright just wont select.
What have I done wrong

Spoke with Nick at Wilemans who confirmed that it should be a straight forward on and off. So off came the casing and I removed the gearchange quadrant assembly to clean it up. Degreased and oiled I then had a look at the outer edge of the camplate gear selector and there was some corrosion. I sprayed wd40 around the spindle and put the casing back on. It will now select the gears, but is very notchy, if thats a word, so I think the above mentioned water penetration has done more damage than I thought. Methinks a gearbox strip down is required. Bit of a bummer as I have just fitted a new clutch, which will need to come off again, and a bit of trepidation as I've never been beyond the outer casing before.
Ah well, I'll just call in my mate to stand by in case I fuck it up.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Gearboxes are pretty simple Jimmy. I'd take it apart in the right gear/neutral for indexing & then you'll know what it should look like when you put it back together.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Well after a considerable delay in going near the bike, partly because I had to build a new home for the bikes, a 10' by 10' shed, I finally got back to the bike today. a few wee jobs and it was ready to try and start it. After a few kicks....it ran yipee. Left it ticking over for a few seconds but noticed the oil light stayed on so switched it off when I went to try it again the fuse had blown. I have posted a question in the tech section, so any leccy guys looking in please help....Anyway it ran....yipee