Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post updates of classic projects here.
Zunspec

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Unread post by Zunspec » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 pm

There was a Manx with a "For Sale" sign on it at Silverstone on Sat. A mere £17,000 would have got it :D

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I really like the Seeley project - just my kind of thing. I had a TS as well, though mine was yellow. It was a really reliable little bike and handy off road as well.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 am

Hi SD,

I spoke to a chap who fettles off-road 2-strokes and when I described the poor low speed running but fine top end performance of the little TS he immediately suspected the Reed assy. was not performing as it should. I'll be stripping it down to investigate in due course as you have to ride it like a hooligan at the moment :D .

I'm still developing wheel & brake solutions on the Seeley at the moment. I think I have the front sussed but don't know what to do about the rear, looking for a disc/sprocket carrying hub for that. Also trying to find an already prepped motor vice converting the std. lump I have, starting from scratch is looking to be bloody expensive.

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Zunspec wrote:Hi SD,

I spoke to a chap who fettles off-road 2-strokes and when I described the poor low speed running but fine top end performance of the little TS he immediately suspected the Reed assy. was not performing as it should. I'll be stripping it down to investigate in due course as you have to ride it like a hooligan at the moment :D .

I'm still developing wheel & brake solutions on the Seeley at the moment. I think I have the front sussed but don't know what to do about the rear, looking for a disc/sprocket carrying hub for that. Also trying to find an already prepped motor vice converting the std. lump I have, starting from scratch is looking to be bloody expensive.

Cheers Geoff

Never had a low speed running problem like that with my TS, but I suppose he could be right and he probably knows more about 2 smokes than I ever did. Could be the jets too, but I expect you've checked those.

How much tuning do you want to have? There was a piece in CB about a guy who fettles old skool 2 smokes. I expect his work is good but not cheap.

What front braking are you using? Just wondered if you could use a GT750 hub with the optional twin discs and then drill them for more coolifyingification.

Love to do classic racing myself but don't have the resources or the time.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi SD,

I have checked the jets in the TS carb several times now and played around with the height of the needle to no real benefit to the the low speed pick-up, when it hits 5,500 rpm onwards it goes quite smartly though. Apparently it is quite hard to suss the state of a reed valve assy. unless you know what you are looking for (it looked OK to me when I first re-installed it). I'll get it checked out and replace if necessary.

I plan on fitting a single disc, gripped by a 2-piston Lockheed racing caliper at the front and using the GT500 hub for the bit in the middle all surrounded by a flanged WM2 alloy rim. I just finished roughing out a caliper carrier from 12mm 6082 T6 plate this weekend.

For the rear I'm looking at this from Minnovation Racing, basically a Triumph hub newly machined (and lighter) + their lightened Disc. Not decided if I need the Steve Maney cush drive bit yet.

http://www.minnovationracing.co.uk/prod ... spx?id=229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm

I have checked the jets in the TS carb several times now and played around with the height of the needle to no real benefit to the the low speed pick-up, when it hits 5,500 rpm onwards it goes quite smartly though. Apparently it is quite hard to suss the state of a reed valve assy. unless you know what you are looking for (it looked OK to me when I first re-installed it). I'll get it checked out and replace if necessary.

I plan on fitting a single disc, gripped by a 2-piston Lockheed racing caliper at the front and using the GT500 hub for the bit in the middle all surrounded by a flanged WM2 alloy rim. I just finished roughing out a caliper carrier from 12mm 6082 T6 plate this weekend.

For the rear I'm looking at this from Minnovation Racing, basically a Triumph hub newly machined (and lighter) + their lightened Disc. Not decided if I need the Steve Maney cush drive bit yet.

http://www.minnovationracing.co.uk/prod ... spx?id=229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Geoff

It does look very nice Zun, I'm envious

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Here is the Minnovation rear hub in all it's glory. A nice piece of work:

Playing with momobikes is good clean fun.

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:44 pm

That looks ace Zun

I saw this one on fleabay - neat also:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Fahron ... 9110683%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this is the project I could afford and might even be able to manage to piece together:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT500- ... 9110683%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:18 am

Hi SD,

The Faron ready to go one would probably work out cheaper in the long run. It looks like quite a good deal at the moment, buy it and we could re-live a Sheene v Roberts type dual next season :D (The CRMC may run a round at Knockhill next year BTW).

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 pm

The Faron ready to go one would probably work out cheaper in the long run. It looks like quite a good deal at the moment, buy it and we could re-live a Sheene v Roberts type dual next season :D (The CRMC may run a round at Knockhill next year BTW).

Cheers Geoff

I was thinking it'd be good fun for the road. The engine is stock or that's what it claims. It does retain the kickstart shaft so that could be refitted, but I dunno if it'd mean trimming of a bit of the fairing. I'd probably have to put K&Ns over those open bell mouths too as I wouldn't want it swallowing a bit of dirt or summat. A digital speedo would be enough, tho a clock would look more in character. It would be possible to have on the road with a daylight only MOT tho lights would be nice, and indicators too. Not sure how much it'd cost to convert the electrickery to run a lighting circuit. Mudgaurds are needed for road use but they could be short.

If I was to race, I think we'd be bashing fairings as back markers. I'm under no illusions about my skills as a racer. Brands is my local track since I've lived in London for over 20 years now.

It is very nice looking tho innit? Even Frau Scotduke admitted so, and she's not usually that keen on bikes.