Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post updates of classic projects here.
Zunspec

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Added an AP Lockheed Racing 2-piston caliper today. To my relief I had actually got the tapped mounting holes in the caliper plate in the right places :D

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Looking better and better Zun

quicksilver

Unread post by quicksilver » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:14 pm

very nice, love the quality of it.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 am

I had good fun in the workshop today fabricating the front fairing mount/lockstops. That triangular plate was drafted out on the CAD program, all dimensions carefully plotted. The result when transferred to the metal was 10mm too tall. Luckily I just cut the excess 10mm off and was able to re-drill the top hole. So much for my CAD skills :lol: . The bits sticking out were silver soldered as I don't have enough heat to do brazing.

A good clean-up and a lick of paint + rubber ends on the lock-stop bar and it should be good to go.

The steering damper is a NHK 6-way adjustable which I got from Dennis Trollop Racing. As his shop is 10 minutes away from where I work I by-passed eBay and got is direct along with the fork mount bracket.
DTR http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Classic-T ... 3a7a8c19bc

The frame bracket came from the Karting world and is termed a "Mushroom Clamp" It might have been made for the Seeley, CNC machined and does the job a treat.

I have also bought a race engine from the chap who "did" run Ragged Edge Racing, purveyor of a comprehensive range of race glass-fibre wear. A least he did until the workshop next door caught fire and gutted his entire operation as well :cry: . I must get a fire extinguisher.

Cheers for now.

Geoff

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Evening all,

Well I continue to trash my Pianist soft hands in the workshop. I spent the rest of Sunday weekend making the fairing side mounts getting through about £10 worth of silver solder in the process. Not a stellar job but functional and after painting should be acceptable.

These photos are of the embryonic oil tank as I intend to run with the pump when racing.

The neat filler cap came from a car racing emporium who work out of a building at the Castle Coombe circuit (which is about 10 miles from my place). Advice and tips on bending the folds in the alloy plate are most welcome. Easy if you have access to one of those sheet bending machines but I was thinking along the lines of a piece of angle iron and a big hammer :D

Cheers Geoff

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 pm

2 pieces of angle bar in the vice with the ally sheet sandwiched in the middle, or take it into work and go see the sheet metal workers (what do you mean you're strictly desk jockey)

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Anneal the ally first and it will bend a lot easier.

Easiest way to anneal it is to rub a bar of soap on it and then warm it with a blowlamp (keep the blowlamp moving across the sheet) till the soap starts to turn a dark brown.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 am

DAM wrote:Anneal the ally first and it will bend a lot easier.

Easiest way to anneal it is to rub a bar of soap on it and then warm it with a blowlamp (keep the blowlamp moving across the sheet) till the soap starts to turn a dark brown.
That's exactly what I did DAM :D the old soap trick was taught to us by my first metalwork teacher over 45 years ago. Allowing for the bend radius and getting the folds in the right place is the bit I have trouble with.

Cheers Geoff

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Good day all,

Basic oil tank. I will still do a bit of adjusting to the fit and have to add the oil delivery pipe and a breather. Not too bad considering I have to learn (or re-learn :D ) a few skills.

Now, what's next on the "to do" list.

Cheers Geoff

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 pm

It's happening at a pace today, the seat unit arrived.

I shall dream well tonight.

Cheers Geoff