Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post updates of classic projects here.
Hooli

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 pm

I didn't know what the AFR (air fuel ratio) was for an evil two smoke till you said, but I could see where it left the 'ideal' line on the chart & the power stopped climbing.

Looks like a good result from what the stock figures are anyway 8-)
Classics ain't built in Metric

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Zunspec wrote:Hi scotduke,

That's 58 bhp at the back wheel too :D . The Suzuki brochure specs were 47 (early models) or 45 (later models) crankshaft power. With some appropriate fine tuning I think it will break into the low 60's, more than enough to have fun with. Still have some work to do on the running gear as well, maybe parading it at the CRMC "festival" meeting at Donnington in August. Off to do my ACU licence test tomorrow.

On an "oh sh1T age is getting me" note I also pick up my prescription spectacles on Friday, I didn't pass the eyesight requirements for a race licence so my new moniker is 4-eyes :lol: .

Cheers Geoff

I've seen a few dyno printouts in my time but I don't profess to know any more than either of you, quite possibly less, and they were for four strokes anyway. Getting that much at the back wheel is pretty good and a bit of fettling might see a couple more bhp. Parading it and some track days are the way to go at first as it'll need more fettling for the set up, as well as you getting the measure of it.

Yep the 4 eyes thing happens to a lot of people and since I spend so much time at a computer screen, I started wearing glasses all the time a couple of years ago when I was 49 (and not just for reading). I'd had great eyesight for all my life, so it was a bit of a surprise.

Glad you got the race licence ok.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:23 pm

I trucked the Seeley up to Bedford today for a serious Dyno session at "Krazy-Katt" with operator James.

Gained a few BHP's, more than you would think if you compare the graph with the previous one as the Dyna-Pro machine gives lower numbers than the DynoJet. Don't ask me why as I have absolutely no idea :D . Went down 3 main jet sizes to 330 and advanced the ignition from 2.9mm BTDC to 3.00mm BTDC and cracked 60BHP at the rear wheel.

The best T500 James has run on his Dyno. Getting more will mean altering pipes + programmable ignition type stuff so I will first run it as is. Interestingly James reckoned it would make great road bike as it was picking up really cleanly from low(ish) rpm's. My original intention was building it for the road.

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:38 pm

It's looking good on the graph Zun. That's a lot of power from a T500 designed back int he late 60s. On the road I reckon you could surprise quite a few riders on more modern machinery. I'm not convinced you need more power as it'd make the motor more peaky probably and you'd lose that even spread of torque thru the rev range. It does highlight what a good motor the T500/GT500 was in the first place.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 am

Good evening SD,

The chap who re-built the engine for me reckoned the original "Les Trotter" porting and pipes would have produced a very peaky power curve. More of it maybe but making the bike much more of a handful to ride so he has done some re-porting. As my last race was 30 years ago it is probably in my best interests to have the engine more tractable. James @ Krazy-Katt (the dyno man) thought with the current spread of power/torque the Seeley would make a cracking road so should be easy to ride on the track.

I have entered the 500 Air Cooled class at the CRMC's last meeting at Snetterton on the 21/22 September, got a new set of "fat belly" BKS leathers and am how Sh1ting it in case I make a complete fool of myself. Which of course would be nothing new :D .

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:23 pm

If you've raced before the skills will come back most likely. Don't push it too hard at first until you get really used to the bike. I've never raced motorcycles but I've done a lot of BMX racing - probably a lot of similar skills I suppose.

I'm racing at the British BMX Championships this weekend. If me or my son manage to get a 1/4 final it'll mean we're in the top 16 and therefore will qualify to ride in the BMX World Championships next year in the Netherlands. It's an outside chance for me, but my son could do it.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi SD,

No chance of me going silly, first objective is to finish. 2nd objective is not to get lapped.

Good luck at the BMX Champs, hope you and the lad have a successful time.

Cheers Geoff
Last edited by Zunspec on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Zunspec wrote:Hi SD,

No chance of me going silly, first objective is to finish. 2nd objective is not to get lapped.

Good luck at the BMX Champs, hope you the lad have a successful time.

Cheers Geoff

Not so successful - I struggled on the track as the first jump was very challenging. My son had some bad gates (starts) and some good kids to race so he didn't do well either. One of the other lads from our club crashed in practice and injured his wrist so he couldn't ride - in a cast for 6 weeks. Younger son then fell off his skateboard this afternoon and is in casualty now with Frau Scotduke getting it checked out to see if it's just sprained - so it might mean no racing for 6 weeks for him as well. :(

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Ouch, I trust I won't emulate your lads crash fest. Hope his injury is minor.

I am trying to see if I can take the Seeley out at a track day at Castle Coombe on the 11th Sept. Taking it over on Saturday for a sound test, 105dB limit. This is the same level as racing so if it fails there at least I can do some work on the noise level before Snetterton.

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Oddly enough Zun, my son is rather pleased with the cast he has been given. The doctor said the wrist is sprained and has given him the cast for support while it heals, although there is a small possibility that one of the small wrist bones may develop a fracture, in which case he will need more time healing and another cast. But he has now joined our family's broken wrist club, along with me (BMX crash), my sister (skiining), my other son (football) and my mother. Only my mother has actually broken both wrists and she's the only one that didn't break a wrist while playing a sport. Oh, and my brother has broken both arms (falling off a wall as a kid and climbing).

Hopefully my son will be race fit for the South Champs BMX race. I hope your first ride out on the Seeley works out ok. A bit of noise is good in my books.