Suzuki GSXR750 project

Post updates of classic projects here.
scotduke

Re: Suzuki GSXR750 project

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 am

johnr wrote:oh its a waterboiler, newer than it looks then.

I remember when those were introduced.

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Well I've managed to remove the rear subframe from the bike. Got three of the bolts undone by pouring boiling water over the frame but on the last bolt in a fit of over confidence I rounded the head of the allen bolt. I bought a cheap easy out kit off ebay drilled the bolt and had a go with it. Never used one before and was very apprehensive about it I didn't want to snap the easy out in the bolt and make things worse. Anyway I took a deep breath and went for it and to my disbelief the bolt came out!

The bike needs a good degreasing

Also stripped the back shock down today to see if it still damped

Had to use a small pair of spring compressors to get the spring off. The collets at the bottom of the shock were seized and took a while to remove but eventually they came off and I got the spring removed

Luckily the shock is still damping so Im going to give it a good clean and paint the spring and it should be back in business!

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Gillybobs - Someone who won't mind getting socks for Christmas :D

Nice progress on the Suzuki BTW.

Cheers Geoff

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Well not done too much to the bike over the last couple of weeks but I did treat myself to a front paddock stand over christmas.

I've aslo replaced a nasty looking bearing from the rear suspension linkage.

Got a genuine suzuki part form my local bike shop Jeff Hall motorcycles for a very reasonable £21.

I also found a flat spot in the front wheel rim which my me and my Dad have managed to knock back into shape with a soft hammer. Really pleased with the wheel as it runs true and means i don't have to find another front wheel.

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 am

Another front paddock stand - think they've been breeding on the forum

:)

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Well progress has been a bit slow of late but I have managed to get some stuff powder coated. Heard about a local firm thats been going for just a couple of years so I would give them a try. Really pleased with the result! They shot blasted and coated my parts and the results are brilliant and they were very reasonably priced :D
This is there website if anyone is interested.

http://twobrotherscoatings.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a couple pictures.

Taking my wheels to be done next :)

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Been making a little more progress. Cleaned up some nuts,bolts and spindles and had the zinc plated and they have come up really well. The foot rest look like brand new!

Managed to get the shock back together. Couldn't the spring over the damper with the spring compressor's as they were getting caught on the damper. Had to get some screwed rod and some plates at either end of the spring and compress the springs. Once it was compressed I put a lot of tie wraps around the spring and undid the screwed rod and plates and the tie wraps held the spring compressed. Then I put the spring over the damper and got the collets back in place and one by one cut the tie wraps off. Very scary but it did the job!

Got the swing are back in place and it looks a lot cleaner

Also refurbed the battery box with some sticky foam and put some heat shrink over the lugs that hold the wiring.

Got my wheels back from the powder coater's so I've got to fit new bearings and get my tyres back on. My pug thinks there ok!

And I still haven't got any socks!

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Been making a little bit of progress over the past few weeks .

Done a repair on the fairing. When I stripped the headlamp out a couple of the brass inserts came with it so I had to come up with way to repair them.

I bought a cheap screen fixing kit off of ebay

I stripped the rubber off of the fixing's to reveal the brass insert. I had to carefully file round one half of the brass insert to remove the lip so it would fit in the fairing.

Then had to araldite the insert into the fairing.

I also picked up up a very good hardly used rear tyre off of ebay for £11 posted ! very pleased with that!! :D

Ive also remade the brake hose's reusing the old ends. I bought 2 meters of hose and new olives. Cost me about £15 pounds to do this rather than nearer £100 for new hoses.

Ive got the new hoses on the bike. I also got a pair of very good second hand discs off ebay for £60 which i'm very happy with new ebc disc are £160 each :shock:

And just a couple of photos of the newly painted footrests with the re plaited bit and pieces on them.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

That's coming along nicely, Gillybobs. I like the fairing fix, always pleasing when you have worked out and implemented a solution yourself.

Cheers Geoff

Gillybobs

Unread post by Gillybobs » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Zunspec wrote:That's coming along nicely, Gillybobs. I like the fairing fix, always pleasing when you have worked out and implemented a solution yourself.

Cheers Geoff
It makes up for that OH BUGGER feeling you get when you brake something!!!! :D