Needs Must

Post updates of classic projects here.
jimmy

Needs Must

Unread post by jimmy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm

After 30 odd years of biking, I've done summit I thought I'd never do.

My boy rides a 1992 SR125 and last week I ordered a chain and sprocket set. I took my time ordering and pointed out it was a 92 SE model. Anyway I removed the chain, rivetted link, front and rear sprocket. Front sprocket no probs, Rear sprocket, the bolt holes do not line up. I measured between the centres and there was a difference of 12mm. The new sprocket was 80mm and the old was 92mm.

As I said Needs Must and my boy needed the bike for work this afternoon and college tomorrow, so I had to put the old sprocket, which by the way was well past its sell by date, back on the wheel. Not ideal and prolonged use will fuck up the new chain so hopefully the dealer will send me out a new sprocket asap.

Hooli

Re: Needs Must

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Gah! useless parts suppliers eh?
Classics ain't built in Metric

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 pm

In fairness to them, hooli, they contacted me today. Seems there are 2 model types that cover the same years. He will send me a new sprocket when I return the old one, so he will have to break open a set as I have fitted the chain and front sprocket.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Oh well, guess you'd better let him off then. Shame he didn't know there were two & got you to confirm which was needed though.
Classics ain't built in Metric

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 am

That's why manufacturers use frame numbers, did the supplier not ask you for that? It doesn't always work on older bikes, people buy second hand parts and put on like for example someone might have used a second hand rear wheel of the later/earlier version which would mess things up but it's always a good starting point.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

The shop acted well after the event. They sent out the correct sprocket as soon as they received the original back.