another bloody triumph twin project,,,,

Post updates of classic projects here.
johnr

Re: another bloody triumph twin project,,,,

Unread post by johnr » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 am

i only thought of it cos the electronic ignition kit that fits in place of the points in the distributor is neg earth 12v only, and its only 40 quid!
right, tank, again, just emptied the por15 marine flush tank cleaner out, hell fire its bloody crappy still inside, the cleaner came out bright orange, but a freshwater flush revealed bright clean metal, so i rinsed it and its now got a litre of metal surface prep chemical in there to prime it for the por15, tomorrow night i can rinse and dry it thoroughly and then add the sealant, and it should be right for refitting, finally sorted!!

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi john,

I take it por15 is one of the ones immune to the dreaded ethanol mix petrol.

Cheers Geoff

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 am

seemingly, its makers claim it will resist all alcohol mixes, we shall see soon enough!

TomC

Unread post by TomC » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi
I lined the tank on my CB350 twin with POR15's gas tank sealer over three years and almost 10,000miles ago. I have had no problems except that when I did it I did not clear the nipples for the crossover hose and they are plugged up.
TomC in Ohio were they grow corn.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 pm

ok, tanks done, im gonna leave it plenty of time before i put fuel in it. i sealed it sat but by the time i had drained the residue from the tank there was over half a tin, and looking in the tank the layer was so thin it was see through, so i left it in the sun for an hour to dry a bit and warm up, then i tipped it all back in again and rolled it round for a while, then drained it again, left it half an hour to go tacky, then tipped the rest of the sealer that i had drained out in again and rolled it round, nothing came out this time and looking in the tank is lined with an even silver grey coating everywhere i can see.
bloody annoyingly, ive lost a tappet cover, i took them off to check the clearances and that the oil was getting to the top end, and when i came to put them back i can only find 3, no matter how hard i look. so, ive ordered a set of 4, which means that the lost one is imminently due a return!!
so, to do, pop the tank on, fill with fuel, change the oil, set tappets and points and timing precisely. but time is against me again, havent i been here before. i meant to do most of this over the holiday weekend, but the rest of my life got in the way with family and work commitments popping up at the last minute, so again im going to try and get this done by the end of this weekend so i can get it to the mot man.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

well, ive ridden it, after getting a blinding insurance deal that made me change from auntie carol after more than a decade, i covered the triumph fully comp, and tonight took it round the block to check that it all works. ok, its a bit clunky, ( i found on my return that there wasnt any oil in the primary case) i gave it an oil change, and on noticing how much cack was in the tank took it off and gave it a propper flush out first with petrol and then with some brake cleaner, before leaving it in the sun to evaporate and then replaced and filled it with oil. it runs ok, nice and throaty, and aside from a tiny bit of smoke which could easily be from in the exhausts following its 20 year layup, as i know the last owner put oil down the bores and kicked it over every once in a while, so its sweet, im still not 100% about the ignition timing being right, its tricky not knowing the spec of the engine so i dont know how much adv or ret it needs, time will tell i suppose. so far, it seems ok, i just need to get the nod from the two wise men at the mot station and im on the road!!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Sounds good 8-)
Classics ain't built in Metric

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:31 pm

well, a mixed bag to report today. firstly, it passed its mot flying colours, no advisories, other good news, it runs like a good un, starts first kick, revs like a good un and sounds glorious. the fuel tank liner seems to be holding up well, not disolving or breaking down in the fuel. however, all isnt well, firstly, it leaks oil like a seive, engine gearbox and primary drive. this is more than an anoying drop on the drive, this is propper puddles of the stuff, so im gonna have to work through them, also and most important, it jumps out of third gear, which is propper annoying and spoils the whole bike! when i got the bike, amongst the box of bits was a gearbox. so im assuming that the bike did that when he had it and he bought the cluster to replace his box and just never got round to it. i will dig it out and see if its ok hopefully whilst im in there i can sort the leaks as well!
having said all that, its lovely, it handles propper well, and ive ridden it faster than ive ever ridden on any old brit, 90mph, yee-haaa!! im, gearbox aside, mightily impressed with the little twin. so, onwards and upwards, im gonna read the print off the haynes manual and then set too and get this box changed, after that the rest of the summer awaits me,,,,,

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi johnr,

So you are joining the "oil leak" club :D . I still haven't cured mime despite several attempts.

Regarding the jumping gear box. You might only need to address the 3rd gear and the associated dogs. Still means the box needs to come out, which means the clutch has to be removed. Good news, it can all be done in the frame.

Cheers Geoff

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 am

i dont really mind an oil leak, its an old brit for goodness sake, but this things leaks are epic, im thinking that there arent any gaskets between the gearbox sections so i think the metal to metal surfaces are leaking, as for the box, im going to see if theres any selectors in there, the cluster i will just swap as a whole, but im also wondering if its just the camplate and springs. i wont know till i get into it. we shall see. haynes seems to indicate that the gearbox hasnt got gaskets in it, but ebay has many sellers listing them, so i dont know if its worth a punt or will the thickness of 2 gaskets affect the clearances in there?