My 30's Model 85/Red panther

Post updates of classic projects here.
speedtwin

Re: My 30's Model 85/Red panther

Unread post by speedtwin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:13 am

Great project, will look forward to the next progress report. I think it's great when you get into making replacement parts, nice to see the owners club can help with parts too.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

I have just had a very nice package through the door. My rebuilt magneto. £150 all in including postage from those very nice people at APL magnetos.
Its been bead blasted and had new cap and clip, points, screws and nuts, label, pick up, slip ring, plug cap, spark plug cable, bearings seals and rewound. It kicks out a hell of a belt if you stick your finger in the pick up while spinning it. :D

1937 350cc Red Panther trial bike
1975 650cc Ural outfit(http://www.russianbike.co.uk/)
1983 R80 BMW.

coming soon a 1938 model 85 350 cc Redwing Panther(when I get it rebuilt)

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Excellent progress. That's your ignition system sorted. A friend of mine recently had restored a BSA M20 he had bought & ridden home from Pakistan, though the Magneto was not refurbished at that time. Guess what failed a year after the restoration...nice job otherwise.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I finally managed to get the bike out in the back garden and shot some shots for the guy who gave me the frame and forks. It doesn't seem like I have done much but as we all know there is lots of time to be spent getting all the fiddly jobs done with it seeming to be not much in the way of progress.

Here is the bike fitted with my dads tank (which doesn't leak) which I am hoping to run the bike with this summer until I can get mine sorted.

I have a later primary case loosely fitted to see what it looks like. I need to extend it by about 2" in width to cover the chain. These bikes run a chain case with an open back so are fairly easy to mount. The footrests are just hanging in place in these shots and will be sorted once I am finished. I have nearly finished mounting the rear wheel as I have spent this afternoon threading the spindle and finalising the spacers I need.

The rear brake lever is fitted and welded up so I can redrill the hole for the rod. I am waiting on dimensions for the rear lever so I can knock one of those up plus I am also waiting for the hole centres dimensions for the short gear lever which attached to the hand change lever. I have one roughed out but need to make sure its the right length before finishing.

My new bars and levers which I have managed to get at a trade price :D Mounted with my new stainless handle bar clamps.

My front hub is now mounted with a new spindle and spacers.

If I can finish off the gearchange parts and the chain case next month I will rip the motor apart for a clean and rebuild. I will then get the frame blasted and a rough paint for this summer and then stick it back together as after speaking to a painter the frame will needs lots of filling to make it look good as its got fairly major rust pitting (mainly on the bits you can see). So that will be next winters plan.
Last edited by gautrek on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 R80 BMW.

speedtwin

Unread post by speedtwin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Coming together nicely, very interesting project 8-) The owners club sounds like a good setup.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 pm

I have just had another very nice package from the owners club. A full set of cables complete with all the adjusters for £68 delivered. I don't mind making my own up but professional ones always look far superior to my home made ones. I have also popped some parts of for blasting and will be picking them up on Friday and dropping some more bits off. So it looks like a weekend of painting for me.
1983 R80 BMW.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Just been to the blasters and picked some bits up. This is my sort of washing line.

We have my fork blade, new toolbox and brake lever.. I phoned a couple of people to see about getting my forks bushed and new spindles made. One guy wanted £300 and could do the job in about a month. The next guy wanted £120 and can't do it til July. So I am dropping my forks and links off this Friday at the £120 guy in Birmingham on Friday. Hopefully he will bring them to founders day in July.

This is what 70 odd years of neglect looks like.

1983 R80 BMW.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:40 pm

I had to drop my tank off at a repairers last week. I phoned him up and had a good chat with him first. He said we don't like only doing half the job. To which I replied what do you mean. He said if I am doing your tank then I want to finish it by painting it as well. That's not a problem as I was going to get a paint job done on it any way. I ended by saying I will pop up with the tank and he could give me a price. To which his parting comment was "But it won't be cheap".

The tank is rotten along the bottom and full of rust so is beyond my skill to repair. In fact any more than sloshing tank seal in and I'm bolloxed any way. So I took the tank up to Sheffield and had a chat. He explained he would leave it in paint stripper for a few days . Then leave it in a rust eating solution for a few more days then clean it and have good look. He explained he would cut one bottom out at a time and then do any repairs on one side then put a new bottom and then do the other side. He said he has seen worse tanks than mine and has managed to save them. I explained I was going to bring up new hand change lever mounts for him to weld on but with getting twatted off the bike I haven't had time. So I will make these up and post them up to him in a while.

I also need to decide the painted panels size and shape for the tank. he has lots of work to do before we get to the paint stage anyway. We then started to talk money and he explained that its was his time I was paying for. he then took a deep breath and said it will be around £600. To which I replied thats about what I was expecting. he did say most people are shocked when he tells them the price. So I have paid a deposit and he has said it will take months to do. to which I replied thats fine.
1983 R80 BMW.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Well its been a while but there has been a fair bit of progress. The tank has come back from the repairers. Chuffed to f*** I am . Just got to hope it holds liquid now

Its not the right colours for this bike. But I don't care.

The wheels have been re built and have been shod. But they do need moving over slightly so will go back to the rebuilders to be tweaked. But its on wheels now.

Its so small its like a pit bike. The red plates on the front of the engine are to hold the engine upright when I have it on the bench.
here is the rear brake lever mounted and in place. It just needs a washer making to lock it into place .

I have also spent about 4 hours knocking up nuts and spacers to mount the centre stand. This has had to come off and on numerous times as it kept binding. So the various items I made had to be adjusted . I was just working from a photo so have no dimensions as such.

The bike is now away having a pair of high level exhaust bent up for me. I mounted the silencers and left the bike at the benders. I don't mind if he takes a couple of months as I am in the process of fitting a BMW engine in my Ural so need the space for that.

Oh and my forks have been away to be rebushed and have new spindles made up to suit. he has also straightened them as they had been side swiped some time in the past
1983 R80 BMW.

Willpower

Unread post by Willpower » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:50 am

All looking good and I like the tank colours. Have you any idea yet as to the colour(s) for the rest of the tinware?