650ss on the road

Post updates of classic projects here.
BenG

650ss on the road

Unread post by BenG » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 am

After over a year of free time, I am finally riding around on my 1962 650ss. I had it for over 20 years sitting in a basket before I decided to go to work on it, oh well. Not a restoration, just heavy maintenance so I could have something to make running errands economical and enjoyable. Bike is almost completely in standard trim except for the addition of 12v Lucas electrics I had laying in a box, enlarged oil passageways and 6-start oil gear, and a 2ls backing plate in it until I can get new linings onto the original SLS front brake setup. She runs like a rocketship. Bike done 100% at home in my one-car garage, all mechanicals, electrics and spray bomb painting. Since last photo I have even polished up the chrome a bit.

Hooli

Re: 650ss on the road

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Looks lovely.
Classics ain't built in Metric

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:08 am

Hooli wrote:Looks lovely.

Definitely. Rode my mate's Domi 88 - not as good as this tho

Coxy

Unread post by Coxy » Wed May 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Nice indeed, I should never have sold my Mercury but I do note that the self depraction regarding the single car garage, Hmmm not to many would have a nice little DIY Hobart Mig Welder let alone what appears to be an old but no doubt very usefull Valve Facing machine in the lockup at home your efforts are well worth the result and appreciated here by a somewaht saddened ex Norton owner, Bugger may have to do something to correct that Ex aspect having seen your Dommie.

Obviously You are well capable of using the equipment you have to hand and able to work around problems succesfully when you do not have the equipment to hand to achieve a result on your own rather than the Checkbook approach of so many your efforts are to be applauded well done.