Norton Framed BVR 5 Valve Weslake

Post updates of classic projects here.
highview2012

Norton Framed BVR 5 Valve Weslake

Unread post by highview2012 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 pm

I thought while its raining I`d make my first `proper` post, so here goes.....

I guess it can be called a Café Racer type, I had plans to put it into a Flattracker style as that's more comfortable and my style.....but seems a Featherbed has to be a racer by its genes......so comfort will have to take a back seat. (no pun intended)

Outline is....BVR 5 Valve in Featherbed frame with the usual TLS etc......the engine has looked that messy with the welded on fins since Brian Valentine added them from nearly new....it went back for quite a few mods (and work!) to him many times in its history trying to improve certain areas, I have a nice thick history file of it all....sadly it never really impressed and sat dormant for many years until I purchased it about 10 years ago......and its done much the same since!

Progress is ridiculously slow......about 3 hours of work spread out over 5 years........`normal` work always seems to take over or come in just as I grab hold of the curtain I`m using to keep it covered....

I will get it up and running this winter, not really a fan of the over restored (although appreciate the time and effort no-end) so I`ll try and keep the used patina as much as possible while making it safe to ride......but then I`ve been saying that for the last 5 or so winters!!

That's about it......hopefully its of passing interest to some.

Norton BVR 5 Valve Weslake by HIGHVIEW RACE SHOP, on Flickr

Norton BVR Weslake 5 Valve by HIGHVIEW RACE SHOP, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/highviewracer/10471544376/

Zunspec

Re: Norton Framed BVR 5 Valve Weslake

Unread post by Zunspec » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 pm

An intriguing project I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cheers Geoff

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Wow, great looking bike. One day it'll be on the road. Better to take your time and get it right!

:)

highview2012

Unread post by highview2012 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

...... :D ...... Ive been using that as an excuse for so long Ive began to believe it myself! Really must put the effort in before next summer, but then I`ve also been saying that about the others.......seem to be spending more and more time sat behind a desk dealing with paperwork which doesn't help and even then I venture on here to avoid the inevitable when it gets to the accounts part of the day :|

highview2012

Unread post by highview2012 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Bit of an update..........still stuck on the oil tank fixings though, may have to make them as cant source any. Footrests will be on later today as will few fixing and fixtures.

ImageBVR Norton 5 Valve by HIGHVIEW SPEED SHOP, on Flickr

highview2012

Unread post by highview2012 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:09 pm

BenG

Unread post by BenG » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Somewhere I have an old magazine about 20 years old that has an interview of Brian Valentine. He talks about his five-valve engine and they try to road test an old featherbed bike with one of the engines stuck in it. I remember it having details of the bike and some good photos. The road test did not go well with the bike quitting often from electrical troubles. I have hundreds of magazines from WWII through the 90s so I am not going to hold my breath while it surfaces, but if it ever does maybe the information in it will help you out.

Since most speedway engines are made to run on methanol they do not have the large cooling fins necessary to run well on petrol, so the extra welded-on fins were probably an attempt to get around that problem and they would be very necessary.