Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Post updates of classic projects here.
Old Codger
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Old Codger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Talk about task escalation!!
My rather nice little CD250u is coming up for the 1st MOT since I bought it a year ago come next month, so decided to give some attention to the two snapped front mudguard bolts. Took out the stanchions without any problems and took them over to t'Lad's to give him an excuse to play with his new milling machine to drill out the bits.

At the same time gave the front wheel a good clean-up, checked the brake pads etc and once t'Lad had finished playing with the stanchions, dropped the old fork oil, flushed through and refilled. Put it all together, then took bike for a spin and realised the rear brake was starting to drag. Guessed (correctly) that the brake pivot pin was getting a bit gunged up, so, thinks I, quick job, take off the rear wheel and sort it out.

1st problem:- L/H exhaust has to come off to allow axle pin to come out.
2nd Problem:- L/H exhaust is pretty well life expired, might even be the original fitting.

1st Bad Decision:- Let's take off the R/H exhaust and have a closer look at that.

3rd Problem:- Outer exhaust pipe retaining stud in cylinder head decides to snap.

Quite a length of stud still there, so a quick phone call to PG Automotive in Matlock and yes, they have a stud extractor available for less than a tenner.
Next morning, an early run on my CG scrat bike to pick it up.

4th problem:- It don't bloody fit!!! It fouls on the cooling fin below the exhaust port!!

1st question:- Any suggestions on how to get the stud out without butchering the fins and without having to remove the cylinder head?
There is a small amount of thread that may take a single nut, but not the two required to use the locknut trick.

2nd question:- Does anyone know of a source of CD250 exhausts? David Silver has drawn a blank and I would prefer the original twin pipe layout.

User avatar
DAM
Posts: 3037
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: North Cornwall

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by DAM » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:09 pm

The most effective way I have found to get a snapped stud out is to weld a nut to what's left of the stud.
The heat usually frees up the stud so that it comes out easily.

Has t'lad got a welder yet ?

Old Codger
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Old Codger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 pm

DAM wrote:The most effective way I have found to get a snapped stud out is to weld a nut to what's left of the stud.
The heat usually frees up the stud so that it comes out easily.

Has t'lad got a welder yet ?

Yes, he's got mine!! And I have tried that trick before, just wondering if there were other alternatives.

User avatar
DAM
Posts: 3037
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: North Cornwall

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by DAM » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Without taking the head off there is not really any other easy way.

Unless you want to risk trying to drill down he centre of the stud and peel out what's left of the thread,

Willpower
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: St. Annes on Sea

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Willpower » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I've had plenty of success with this method: Find a largish flat file and remove the handle (if ones fitted) and you should find the file end tapers down to a 4 cornered point. Next drill a suitable sized hole in the centre of the snapped off stud. Then gently tap in the end of the file with a hammer - needs to be a good tight fit. Next take a suitable spanner or mole grip to the file and hopefully the unscrew the stud. Sounds crude but it works more than not.

User avatar
SMIFFY R
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Camargue,South of France

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Many years ago I had a set of easyouts,dead easy to use just drill a small hole in the stud and wind in the extractor as it's left hand thread the the stud just unscrews....should be able pick up a set from any tool or engineering shop
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

Old Codger
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Old Codger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

SMIFFY R wrote:Many years ago I had a set of easyouts,dead easy to use just drill a small hole in the stud and wind in the extractor as it's left hand thread the the stud just unscrews....should be able pick up a set from any tool or engineering shop

I've enough stub left to try the welding trick, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably take the head off so it can be set up on t'Lads milling machine as I'm not happy drilling into a 6mm stud in an alloy head by hand.

User avatar
Greenbat
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Greenbat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:48 am

Old Codger wrote:
SMIFFY R wrote:Many years ago I had a set of easyouts,dead easy to use just drill a small hole in the stud and wind in the extractor as it's left hand thread the the stud just unscrews....should be able pick up a set from any tool or engineering shop

I've enough stub left to try the welding trick, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably take the head off so it can be set up on t'Lads milling machine as I'm not happy drilling into a 6mm stud in an alloy head by hand.
Try not to lose washers down the sump this time... :roll:

User avatar
johnr
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by johnr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12 pm

take the rear shocks off, then you can lift the wheel or lower it to allow the spindle to come out, leaving the silencers undisturbed.

User avatar
Greenbat
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Bugger, bugger and thrice bugger!!

Unread post by Greenbat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 am

johnr wrote:take the rear shocks off, then you can lift the wheel or lower it to allow the spindle to come out, leaving the silencers undisturbed.

Haha! Oh dear! Poor father will be cross when he reads that...

Post Reply