Honda CL175K6 1972 in the back yard.

Post updates of classic projects here.
hondapartsman

Honda CL175K6 1972 in the back yard.

Unread post by hondapartsman » Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Yes, in the back yard not in the shed 'cos I ain't got one, right now. Call it a big open are shed with no facilities.
I'm thinking I may have bitten off more than I should have done, but it's here now so I'll have to do it and hope there are enough fine days to do it on because rain will stop play.
Bought off e-bay, which may have been a bad move, paid for mostly by my wife, which means I'm going to have to do my very best with it. An import from the USA.
I'm not planning a full on restoration, I never was, the aim is a rideable, legal bike, tidy hopefully, with everything working like it ought to, straight, all that but bearing some battle scars as befits it's 42 years, or patina as they call it these days. I have my shiny bike after all.
To that end I intend to buy as few new parts as possible, well I can't afford to buy anything more than I need to, if I can find parts anyway. That will take some doing.
Pictures ought to follow, if this photo-bucket thing works, finger crossed!
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

Coxy

Re: Honda CL175K6 1972 in the back yard.

Unread post by Coxy » Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 am

Nice find looking bat the Brightwork it does not seemed to have been anywhere near salted Roads so a Good Buy, these were a quite capable Bike in their day and as with all Honda.s regular Oil changes are the key to longevity.
From memory it might pay to check online parts such as CSML in Holland because I seem to remember these bikes uses a centrifugal Oil sludge trap under the front of the clutch cover and if so I would remove that and clean it.
the camshafts run directly in the Alloy so Good clean oil supply and regular changes means Long trouble free life, A sludged up Filter means a disaster down the road a point with many older Honda;s that needs to be kept in mind.

More info here the centrifugal Oil filter is the alloy part on the crank end in front of the clutch assembly.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hond ... 1024%3B768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Sun May 25, 2014 10:03 am

It came from Minnesota, I don't know what the climate is there but I guess even if they have hard winters there's every chance that this bike was only used in the summer, the deterioration evident might be down to just having sat somewhere for something like 25 years, must have been under cover though. The fenders seem to have no rust at all, the exhaust hardly any either but a few places where condensation must have sat and rusted through. Just small holes, I'll fix them up but I have tracked down a brand new exhaust from the previous year, different part number so must be a little different but just about everything else used on the exhaust was the same, so might be down to a slight internal difference. I intend to keep that new exhaust by for now though, since I'm pretty sure no one will ever make a pattern exhaust for something like this it'll come in handy eventually.
Yes, it does indeed have that centrifugal filter and I was going to clean that out, carefully, I remember selling a lot of those back in the 80's and I know you have to be gentle with them,=. The oil in the engine looks suspiciously new though, and with no kicker I've not yet turned it over myself although I was assured the engine is not seized. The electric start will not work, but then I used an oldish battery of one of my RS's on it so maybe a new battery would help. I might try to get the little generator cover off and see if I can turn it with bolt that holds the flywheel on when I'm in the mood, the weather's right and all that.
I don't think there's anything I can see that's not fixable or somehow usable, except the tyres and tubes of course, and some of the cables. I was on the track of a r/h side panel , which is broken on this with a big chunk missing, that petered out though but on the track of another now although the wrong colour. If that doesn't work out I'll cut a slit and cable tie what's left on for now, until a decent one turns up, with these things I find it's usually just a matter of time.
I'm pretty certain I'm going to need to replace the head gasket, but we'll see. First jobs really are, clean out fuel tank, clean carbs after unseizing the left hand one, check that centrifugal filter and even though the oil in is fresh I'll replace that anyway, just to make sure it's flushed through. By then I hope I'll have a kickstart at least to use, and can see what life there is the engine and then maybe see whether the crud on the engine under the exhaust is from a leaking gasket or maybe just because it's a bugger to clean under there. Lots of time, I have to sell my XJ before I get into buying to many more parts though, at least those that are readily available.

triumph5ta

Unread post by triumph5ta » Wed May 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Looks good!

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Thu May 29, 2014 10:43 am

triumph5ta wrote:Looks good!
It looks a bit better than it is, but it's solid and all there, I now know where to get a r/h side panel, but it has to come by a slightly circuitous route probably through my wife's cousins in the US. The engine was not seized, so that was right, but I can't get compression on the right cylinder and going by the tried and tested thumb method the left doesn't feel that strong. I'm going to see if my old friend down the road can just check that for me, he has his own business repairing machinery so I assume he must have a compression tester. I'll ask him soon, I just wanted to get yesterday ( father in laws funeral) and today ( a scan, and going to the hospital always seems to take such a big chunk out of the day, plus we have to visit our daughter on the way there, and other things to do on the way back) then we'll see. I am waiting for a kick start from the US ( could not find one this side of the pond, although it's the same as the CB175, and a CD175 would have fitted.) The starter motor will not work, and I have to check all that out, the magnetic switch/relay seems okay but that's as far as I've got yet. I have drained the tank of the evil smelling residue of 1987 petrol, the tap I think is going to need a new rubber seal, and sediment bowl but they're still available new from Honda as is a tap should I want one but just replacing the parts will be cheaper.
As always, lots to do, and always waiting for some dry weather to get on. Maybe tomorrow some more.

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:40 am

Not much more done, I'm trying to find a way to bend the footrest bar back to shape on the left side, but can't find myself a bit of strong tube wide enough to fit over it so I'm considering going for a second hand one that looks okay but am loath to spend the money when I'm sure I ought to be able to straighten the original one.
A problem that has come to light is that the NOVA certificate thing has the wrong vin number on, just one digit and I checked when the bike came, but I looked on the worn vin plate where there is what looks like a 3, it's obviously what whoever did the paperwork looked at as well, but look at the stamped in number of the frame and it's a 6. I have no idea how it works, so no idea how i can get that put right but have contacted the people that imported the bike and I assume issued the paperwork to see what they say. No one there until after the 6th though, so waiting now.
I have the exhaust off though, so some progress, that took longer than I expect and now, once I've fixed the holes in the silencer, I need a new gasket as well as there was no way the exhaust was coming off in one piece, as i hoped. The genuine part is obsolete but I've found an alternative, might need a silicone as well like my Ascot did but I'm sure I can work it. Now I can get to both air filters, which will need something doing with them as they're the originals and have done over 20,000 miles, and get the carbs off for cleaning. The filters I'm trying to decide whether to just clean them as best I can ( pleated paper type) replace the paper with foam, as I've seen some do, or get them redone by the VJMCC guy who refurbs these things. I'll have to see. I just don't have the money to do very much of anything much else now though, until I've sold the XJ.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:08 pm

scaff pipe for the footrest?

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:36 pm

What's a NOVA certificate?
Classics ain't built in Metric

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Notification Of Vehicle Arrival. It the form for HMRC to ensure all taxes have been paid on the imported bike

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 am

DAVE M2 wrote:scaff pipe for the footrest?
That's what I need most likely, or a small section of same. I just don't have any nor am i sure I know anyone who has any, except possibly my friend with his own workshop/business. I'll have to ask him, if i can get hold of him. I remember such stuff being used at work to bend frame rails straight, no, best not go into that. not right now anyway.