Is a change of colour not the done thing?

Post updates of classic projects here.
Mongoose

Is a change of colour not the done thing?

Unread post by Mongoose » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:50 am

Hello ,
I have decided to do up a old Yamaha DS6 250 2 stroke as my first project.
They seem to be quite rare, which appeals to me.
Found quite a nice low mileage one that seems all there and is running!
Going to strip it completely, and get it to as close to the day it left the factory as I can.
Problem is, im not really keen on the colour-will it devalue it/make it less desirable if I change it?
Sorry, new to this, so I don't know much!
It's not a cost thing, as it will probably be painted anyway, Just don't want to change the colour only to be told in a few years time-Ah, if you left it the original factory colour it would be worth squillions more etc!
If it's not going to make a difference-I will change it.
Thanks.

DAVE M2

Re: Is a change of colour not the done thing?

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:59 pm

it's your bike

do it the way that you want - but original colour schemes are worth a bit more. but if it means that you have to ride a bike that you don't like the look of, for maybe £350 off the sale price, i'd go with a colour that you like.

is there an alternative "original" colour that you do like? Try that.

my T140 is black and gold stripes. it was originally red, but i have owned it 25 years plus so who cares?
but it still follows the triumph pin stripe "rules"

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:31 am

If the paintwork is decent, you could probably sell/part ex it and get either a scruffy set to repaint or one in the colours you want. Either way you'll save a fair bit. If it needs repainting anyway, it'll not really make a difference. It can always be done again.

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

Do whatever you want I say, sometimes earlier or later colour schemes are better anyway or something completely individual, if you're doing it for yourself follow your heart and damn anyone who thinks otherwise, most people will have no idea anyway of how it 'ought' to look. It's only if you're doing it to sell you might want to keep the original colour/finish, otherwise what does the value matter when it's something personal to you. I'll admit I would always keep my Ascot as it is, as it's the one bike I am determined to keep as it left the factory, although with the odd battle scar. Well, the Cl might be a little the same, but the replacement exhaust I have is for the year before and if it came to it I would not be so fussed about using something that would fit and work in place of the 'right' part.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

jem

Unread post by jem » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 pm

That bike would look awesome in the FS1E Purple with white pinstriping but whatever colour you paint it, if YOU like it that's all that matters, after all it's your bike