Unusual petrol taps.

Discuss really, really old bikes here.
codger

Re: Unusual petrol taps.

Unread post by codger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Now that's real quality. :P Actually to be fair I never seen one in the flesh, however it will almost certainly stop would be thieves riding your bike away as it will probably break into pieces as soon as someone tried to force the lock - petrol everywhere. :lol:
Elephants! Where?

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Explanation of how the CEAL tap works.
Basically the knob (with numbered disc on it ) rotates to turn fuel on / off; fairly straight forward so far.
Now most taps using a rotating taper have a hole drilled through the taper on the centre line, which when rotates to line up with holes drilled through the tap body above & below the taper, the holes in the tap body also drilled on the vertical centre line.
Where the CEAL tap differs is that the hole drilled through the taper starts on the centre line on one side, but is drilled at an angle & so exits the other side of the taper off the centre line. The hole through the top part of the tap body is drilled on the vertical centre line & the hole drilled through the bottom part of the body of the tap is drilled off the centre line. This means that the hole in the taper part only lines up with holes in the tap body in one position only. See illustration.
Attachments
Section through CEAL tap.jpg
Elephants! Where?

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 pm

Here are some more pictures of the CEAL tap dismantled.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the taper with the drilling, & also showing that the taper has been slit from one side up to the drilling (perhaps to aid fuel flow?).
0907120011.JPG
0907120014.JPG
Here is view of the inside of the tap body where the taper normally fits, & shows the hole (marked by red) drilled through the top part of the tap body.
0907120025.JPG
Elephants! Where?

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Here you can see the hole that is drilled off set through the bottom part of the body (marked in red).
0907120019.JPG
Here is a view looking up at the bottom of the tap showing the hole exiting the tap body into a sediment trap (which has been removed for the picture).
0907120010.JPG
The final picture show the inside of the sediment trap, & the pipe through which the petrol exit into the fuel pipe to the carb.
0907120026.JPG
Elephants! Where?

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm

And I still can't work out why I can't get a girl friend. :? :? :?
Elephants! Where?

Rick Parkington

Unread post by Rick Parkington » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:30 pm

That is a cool thing Justin.Certainly a new one on me. Anyway, I keep meaning to ask,( possibly being one of the few that remembers such things) whatever happened to Faithfull Classics?!
R

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:31 am

Justin Faithfull wrote:And I still can't work out why I can't get a girl friend. :? :? :?
Don't understand it myself..........I've enjoyed looking at pictures of your bits ;) ;) :lol:

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:08 am

Rick Parkington wrote:That is a cool thing Justin.Certainly a new one on me. Anyway, I keep meaning to ask,( possibly being one of the few that remembers such things) whatever happened to Faithfull Classics?!
R
Without wishing to hijack an interesting thread, Rick when did Westpier Motorcycles in Brandon Terrace close. I remember going there in the 80s

Justin Faithfull

Unread post by Justin Faithfull » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 am

I closed Faithfull Classics as a restoration business about 1993 or so (due to not being quite so good as a business man), & concentrated on autojumbling for several years after that. I still trade as Faithfull Classics selling good quality reproductions of sales & other literature, mainly pre-war), & I work closely with Andy Tiernan & am often found in his workshop.
I hope to have a website with my literature on soon, this will probably take the form of an addition to Andy's website to start with. I also put my literature on Ebay sometimes.
For anyone going to Founders Day, I will be there on Andy's stall with literature & camera.
Elephants! Where?