Konig sidecar and Kim Newcombe replica

All about going very, very fast.
kitkatjeff

Konig sidecar and Kim Newcombe replica

Unread post by kitkatjeff » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:41 pm

After l posted a reply on the kim newcombe site concerning konigs l thought that was the end of it. A few weeks later my mate Howard Langham rang me to say that he had had a phone call asking about konigs. The result of this is that he got hold of the original 3 750 konig motors that had been purchased in york and decided to build another sidecar outfit more or less to see if it was possible to get one running better now with the use of modern ignition and synthetic oils and 30 years more knowledge. Then along came a pair of 680 engines and a 500 engine and a kim newcombe replica frame. This is an ongoing project but l think you will agree that the photos are very good and the bikes should draw a great deal of interest.
http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo19 ... eff/konig/

The Mighty Gusset

Re: Konig sidecar and Kim Newcombe replica

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I agree !
The photos are Very Good !
Thanks for sharing.

kitkatjeff

Unread post by kitkatjeff » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:03 pm

will be updating again this week as more gets done, the frame is by a lad called rod bellas and l think you will agree that it is a work of art, the kim newcombe replica frame came from germany, thanks to harry for the machining to fit the front hub.

kitkatjeff

Unread post by kitkatjeff » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

you can see a bit of another sidecar in the picture. This is a replica of george ''dells world championship outfit from 1977. if you go into photobucket on the link and into my albums and go on the racing album there are pictures of that on there. l will update these photos as well as that is now finished.

FastFrank

Unread post by FastFrank » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 am

Hahaha.. I worked on Aasted 1, 2 and 3 many years ago before moving to fruit gums then polo. Wonder if we know each other?
I was the proud owner of the Moriwaki Monster in the bike sheds (Honda 900 based) in the mid to late 80's
Last edited by FastFrank on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 am

I remember George O'Dell's death.
I was living in Welwyn Garden City at the time, dispatch riding a bit and racing a bit at weekends (unsuccessfully !)
Although it was reported as a house fire, folks who knew him were pretty adamant that it was suicide.
Very Sad.

kitkatjeff

Unread post by kitkatjeff » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 am

hi fast frank, well l started at nestele in 1992, team leader was joe neenan, famous mate of ian botham, l worked in kk3 to start with but also did my time in aasted's 1 and 2. Don't remember you but l am still there. We used tohave a good laugh but times have changed, head down and work hard now. We work 24/7 now so stupid shifts butit pays for my way through life.
jeff

TR750

Unread post by TR750 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Cracking outfit Jeff, Tim Langham posted quite a bit about this one on Steve's place :)

pooh

Unread post by pooh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:38 pm

George O Dell used to work in the St Albans bus station where I was a mechanic....He was a miserable little sod. I have his biography at home and he died holding his Mrs hostage with a shotgun ans surrounded by police.....then the fire started
Airhead by choice

ash

Unread post by ash » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm

I was travelling down the M1 when I heard the announcement on Radio 2. Very sad. I don't think he gave a fuck about winning the world sidecar championship without actually winning a race but I know he was given much stick over it. He said mid-season that he could win the championship because although his engine was not as fast as his fellow competitors, his was at least reliable.

When I collected my new chassis from Trevor Ireson, Odell's new bike was jigged up, so he'd obviously made a decision to carry on.

It was well known in the sidecar paddock that George suffered from intermittent depression not helped by his lack of racing success, the state of his marraige and the death of Mike Hailwood.

Lest we forget, Odell was the first chairman to lap Silverstone (75) and the IOM (77) at the Ton.

I found him to be an extrovert and forever smiling so it just shows how deceptive appaerances can be.

Bloody shame, the same year we lost Hailwood, Dave Potter, Michel Rougerie,Kenny Blake and Sauro Pazzaglia