Remembering Graham Penny.

All about going very, very fast.
Hunterhunted

Remembering Graham Penny.

Unread post by Hunterhunted » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 am

There was a guy who lived not far from me in the 60s named Graham Penny. He did a bit of racing on Triumphs back then. I remember a friend of mine bought a pre unit Triumph 650 from him, and became the envy of us all due to its speed on the road.
Graham had some connection to Reads of Leytonstone, and they helped prepare a Honda CB450 Black Bomber ( which if my memory serves me right was in fact metallic blue), for the 1967 production 500 TT, and I believe he finished 4th.
The reason it sticks in my head, is mainly due to the recording of that race by Stanley Schofield. I stand to be corrected, but there was a snippet of sound bite taken at I think Kate's Cottage, where the bikes negotiate a slight incline, you hear all the four stroke twins going through and changing up to half way up the rise, but Graham used the Hondas rev limit to its top capacity, leaving his gear change till the last minute with the Hondas engine revs soaring. Its still a great sound, akin to Steve Spray, or was it Trevor Nation on the Norton rotary.